This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A General Optimization Approach for Minimizing Acoustic Power Using Finite Elements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A general approach for minimizing radiated acoustic power of a baffled plate excited by broad band harmonic excitation is given. The steps involve a finite element discretization for expressing acoustic power and vibration analysis, analytical design sensitivity analysis, and use of gradient-based optimization algorithms. Applications to rectangular plates and an engine cover plate are presented. Thicknesses are chosen as design variables.
CitationBelegundu, A., Salagame, R., Koopmann, G., and Naghshineh, K., "A General Optimization Approach for Minimizing Acoustic Power Using Finite Elements," SAE Technical Paper 930198, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930198.
- Lang M.A. Dym C.L. “Optimal acoustic design of sandwich panels J. Acous. Soc. Am. 57 1481 1487 1974
- Lalor N. “Computer optimised design of engine structures for low noise” SAE Paper 790364 1979
- Bernhard R.J. “A finite element method for synthesis of acoustical shapes” J. Sound and Vibration 98 1 55 65 1985
- Wilcox C. Lalor N. Reducing the noise of an engine by changing its shape” ISATA Paper 87173, 17th International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation 1987
- Lamancusa J.S. “Geometric optimization of internal combustion engine induction systems for minimum noise transmission” J. Sound and Vibration 127 2 303 318 1988
- Sivakumar J. Shung S.H. Nefske D.J. “Noise reduction of engine component covers using the finite element method” ASME Structural Vibration and Acoustics 34 133 137 1991
- Naghshineh K. Koopmann G.H. Belegundu A.D. “Material tailoring of structures to achieve a minimum radiation condition” J. Acous. Soc. Am. 92 2 841 855 1992
- Hughes, T.J.R. The Finite Element Method - Linear Static and Dynamic Finite Element Analysis Englewood Cliffs, NJ Prentice-Hall 1987
- Chandrupatla T.R. Belegundu A.D. Introduction To Finite Elements In Engineering Englewood Cliffs,NJ Prentice-Hall 1991
- Lamancusa J.S. “Numerical optimization techniques for structural-acoustic design of rectangular panels” Computers and Structures
- Haug E.J. Arora J.S. Applied Optimal Design New York John Wiley 1979
- Sutter T.R. Camarda C.J. Walsh J.L. Adelman H. M. “Comparison of several methods for calculating vibration mode shape derivatives” AIAA Journal 26 12 1506 1511 1988
- Nelson R.B. “Simplified calculation of eigenvector derivatives” AIAA Journal 14 9 1201 1205 1976
- Vanderplaats G.N. Numerical Optimization Techniques for Engineering Design New York McGraw-Hill 1984