This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Domain Structure and Inference Strategies in Knowledge-Based Design of Polymer Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A successful prototype knowledge-based system has been developed for polymer composites design. This reporting focuses on the expansion and extension of the prototype. The expansion effort widens the scope of the system to include additional matrix and fiber constituents. Initially, the system designs a single composite material meeting the desired performance characteristics. The first extension effort involves modifications to produce a family of designs, presenting a more effective aide to composite designers. Another extension effort involves the selection of manufacturing methods for the composites produced. These improvements give rise to a design system that is approaching industrial level effectiveness.
CitationMcDowell, J., Kamel, A., Hawley, M., and Sticklen, J., "Domain Structure and Inference Strategies in Knowledge-Based Design of Polymer Composites," SAE Technical Paper 930167, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930167.
- Chandrasekaran B. “Generic Tasks in Knowledge-based Reasoning: High-level Building Blocks for Expert System Design,” IEEE EXPERT 23 30 1986
- Sticklen J. Kamel A. Hawley M. Delong J. “An Artificial Intelligence-based Design Tool for Thin Film Composite Materials,” Applied AI 1992
- Brown D. Chandrasekaran B. Design Problem Solving: Knowledge Structures and Control Strategies Pitman, London 1989
- Strong Fundamentals of Composites Manufacturing: Materials, Methods and Applications SME Dearborn MI 1989
- Engineered Materials Handbook Volume 1 Composites ASM International Metals Park, OH 1987