This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Considerations in Designing a Recovery Steam Generator for Incineration Plants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 03, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The design of recovery steam generators for incineration plants encounters certain specific problems, related to the nature of the exhausted gases, which, if not properly faced, can strongly condition the conduction of the whole system. Two problems, namely, demand for particular attention: the corrosion at high temperature and the formation of organochlorine compounds, in presence of ashes and/or deposits for definite temperature intervals. These phenomena can be controlled and minimized, whenever possible, by limiting to the greatest extent the regions where the temperatures of the metallic walls and of the ashes and/or deposits are within the critical interval. The paper analyzes, as a function of operative conditions, these temperature profiles, in order to individuate those situations which may reveal dangerous and to define some criteria to achieve a final configuration for the generator to minimize, as far as possible, the above mentioned problems, increasing as well the reliability of the system.
CitationGhezzi, U., Ferri, L., and Pasini, S., "Considerations in Designing a Recovery Steam Generator for Incineration Plants," SAE Technical Paper 929266, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/929266.
- Krause H.H., Vaugham D.A., Miller P.D. - “Corrosion and Deposits from Combustion of Solid Waste”, ASME Winter Annual Meeting, 1972.
- Gullet B.K., Bruce K.R., Beach L.O. - “Formation Mechanisms of Chlorinated Organics and Impact of Sorbent Injection”, International Conference on Municipal Waste Combustion, Holliwood, Florida, USA, April 11-14, 1989.
- Smith G., Ganesan P., Shoemaker L. - “High Temperature Corrosion Modes in Waste Incineration Environments”, Incineration Conference, S. Diego, CA, USA, May 14-18, 1990.
- Collier J.G. - “Convective Boiling and Condensation”, 2nd Ed., McGraw-Hill, 1981.
- Kakac S. - “Boilers, Evaporators, and Condensers”, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1991.
- Ghezzi U., Ferri L.D.A., Pasini S. - “Analysis of Energy Recovery from Incineration Processes”, 25th IECEC, Reno, Nevada, Aug 12-17, 1990.
- Ghezzi U., Ferri L.D.A., Pasini S., Andriani R. - “Integrazione di Sistemi di Smaltimento di Rifiuti per Termodistruzione e Produzione di Energia”, V Conv. Naz. Gruppi Combinati, Bologna, Italy, 14.06.91.