This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Venezuela's Orinoco Bitumen as an MHD Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 03, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Orinoco Belt in Venezuela contains huge deposits of a bitumen that is complex to handle and refine into lighter hydrocarbon fractions. These deposits are in the early commercialization stage, being marketed as an emulsion with 30% water as a boiler fuel. The fuel is similar to oil in heating value (about 18,100 BTU/lbm) and ash (less than 0.4%). It has an extremely high carbon to hydrogen ratio, a parameter that is important in MHD for electrical conductivity. The authors evaluate the potential for this bitumen as a fuel for an MHD Steam Combined Cycle Power Plant. An experimental program to demonstrate the merit of the bitumen as an MHD fuel and validate the calculations is suggested.
CitationChapman, J., Ziritt, J., and Jimenez G., E., "Evaluation of Venezuela's Orinoco Bitumen as an MHD Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 929203, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/929203.
- Hidalgo R. et al. “Orimulsion ® Demonstration Tests at New Brunswick Canada: A New Technological Step Towards Bitumen Commercialization” Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Coal and Slurry Technology Clearwater, Florida April 1989
- Gordon S. McBride B. J. “Computer Program for the Calculation of Complex Chemical Equilibrium Composition, Rocket Performance and Incident and Reflected Shocks and Chapman-Jougnet Detonations” NASA Lewis Research Center NASA SP-273 1971
- Frost L. S. “Conductivity of Seeded Atmospheric Pressure Plasmas” Journal of Applied Physics 32 10 October 1961
- Chapman J. N. Hollis J. R. “A Computer Based Model of the MHD Steam Power Plant” Proceedings of the IASTED Energy Symposium Montreal, Canada 1980
- Chapman J. N. et al. “User's Manual for the UTSI MHD/Steam Power Plant System Code” January 1985
- Spencer R. C. et al. “A Method for Predicting the Performance of Steam Turbine Generators” Transactions of the ASME Journal of Engineering for Power 85 4 October 1963
- Fuller L. C. Stoval T. K. User's Manual for PRESTO, A Computer Code for the Performance of Regenerative Superheated Steam-Turbine Cycles Oak Ridge National Laboratory Report No. ORNL-5547 NASA CR-159540 June 1979
- Choo Y. K. Staiger P. J. “New Features and Applications of PRESTO, A Computer Code for the Performance of Regenerative, Superheated Steam Turbine Cycles,” NASA Lewis Research Center NASA TP-1954 January 1982