This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Topological Variations of the Inverse Dual Converter for High-Power DC-DC Distribution Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 03, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
New dc to dc converter topologies are presented which are suitable for high density high power supplies. Topological variations of the basic inverse dual converter (IDC) circuit such as the transformer coupled, the multiphase and the multipulse derivation of the single phase IDC have been analysed and some simulation results have been presented. It has been shown in a recent publication  that the single phase IDC offers a buck-boost operation over wide range without transformer, bidirectional power flow, and complementary commutation of the switches.
The topologies examined in this paper have additional features such as lower device and component stresses, and smaller filter requirements, resulting in smaller size and weight. Some performance and possible applications are also examined.
Finally the IDCs for serial and parallel power distribution, and ac tapping of the IDC are discussed.
CitationEhsani, M. and Laskai, L., "Topological Variations of the Inverse Dual Converter for High-Power DC-DC Distribution Systems," SAE Technical Paper 929114, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/929114.
- Ehsani M. Husain I. Bilgic M.O. “Inverse Dual Converter (IDC) for High Power DC-DC Applications” IEEE-PESC Conf. Rec. 1990
- Schwarz F.C. Klassens J.B. “A Controllable 45-kW Current Source for DC Machines” IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl. IA-15 4 437 444 Jul. Aug. 1979
- Ehsani M. Kustom R.L. Boom R.W. “One-phase Dual Converter for Two-Quadrant Power Control of Superconductive Magnets” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics MAG-21 2 March 1985
- De Doncker R.W. Divan D.M. Kheraluwala M. “A Three-phase Soft-switched High Power Density DC-DC Converter for High Power Applications” IEEE - IAS Conf. Rec. 796 805 1988
- Jahns T.M. Doncker R.W. Wilson J.W.A. Temple V.A.K. Watrous D.L. “Circuit Utilization Characteristics of MOS-controlled Thyristors” IEEE - IAS Conf. Rec. 1248 1254 1989
- Morris R.J. Wakeman F.J. Malesani L. Rossetto L. Tenti P. “A New Family of G.T.O. Devices for Medium Frequency Applications” IEEE-IAS Conf. Rec. 1264 1269 1989
- Cuk S. Middlebrook R.D. “A New Optimum Topology Switching DC-to-DC Converter” IEEE - PESC Conf. Rec. 1977
- Wasynczuk O. Krause P.C. “Simulation and Control of a 20-kHz Spacecraft Power System” IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and El. Sys. 25 5 668 675 Sept. 1989