This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of the Relationship Between Transfer Film Chemistry and Friction Performance in Automotive Braking Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The nature of the “TRANSFER FILM” (TF) or “THIRD BODY LAYER” (TBL) formed at the friction interface of some simple friction couples, using materials commonly employed in automotive braking systems, has been examined in detail. The chemistry of the TBL has been studied using energy dispersive X-ray (EDX) and X-ray photo electron spectroscopic (XPS) analytical techniques. Optical and scanning electron optical methods have been used to examine the friction surfaces of the two elements of the couple.
Evidence is presented which relates the friction characteristics of the couple to transfer film chemistry. It is also demonstrated that transfer film chemistry is dependent upon asperity temperature and the composition of the asbestos free composite, especially lubricant additions.
The effectiveness of molybdenum sulphide as a layer lubricant at low asperity temperatures is confirmed by imaging (XPS). More significantly, the technique provides evidence which is used to explain the temperature dependence of friction coefficient in some asbestos free friction materials.
CitationWirth, A., Stone, K., and Whitaker, R., "A Study of the Relationship Between Transfer Film Chemistry and Friction Performance in Automotive Braking Systems," SAE Technical Paper 922541, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922541.
- Rhee S K Jacko M G Tsang P S H 1990 SAE Preprint No 900004 SAE 400 Commonwealth Drive Warrendale PA 15096
- Jacko M G 1977 Proc. Wear of Materials ASME 541 46
- Bark L S Moran D Percival S J 1977 Wear 41 309 14
- Scieszka S F 1982 Trans ASLE 25 337 45
- Liu T Rhee S K Lawson K L 1980 Wear 60 1 12
- Chase R E Melotik D J 1987 Ford Motor Company Dearborn Michigan 5th SAE Annual Brake Colloquium 6th October
- Wirth A Fitzpatrick J Whitaker R
- Liu T Rhee S K 1976 Wear 291 97
- Wirth A Whitaker R 1992 Inst of Physics 25 A38 A43
- Drummond I W Ogden L P Street F J Surman D J May Jun 1991 J.Vac.Sci. A9 3 1434 40
- Adem E Champaneria R Coxon P 1990 Vacuum 41 1695 99
- Anderson A E Gratch S Hayes H P 1967 SAE Preprint No 670079 SAE 400 Commonwealth Drive Warrendale PA 15096
- Midgely J W 1956 J.Inst.Pet 42 316 19
- Kayaba T Iwabuchi A 1982 Wear 74 229 245