This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer Simulation of Fuel Injection Systems for DI Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The continuity and momentum equations for a pump-pipe-nozzle fuel injection system have been solved by a computer simulation program employing both the Runge-Kutta method and the more widely used method of characteristics. This allows the prediction of fluid phenomena and the dynamics of the mechanical components based on the geometry of the FIE system. The simulation includes the effects of possible cavitation, system leakage as well as variations in fuel density and bulk modulus.
The computer model has been made as flexible as possible by using a modular format and inputting the system parameters from external files or dialog boxes. Experimentation was done on a Bosch VE type distributor pump supplying a multi-hole type nozzle which allowed preliminary evaluation of the model by comparing the predicted and measured injection rates and line pressures over a range of pump speeds and loads.
|Technical Paper||A Flexible Fuel Injection Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Computational Model for Simulation of Diesel Injection Systems|
|Technical Paper||Computer Simulation of the Diesel Fuel Injection System|
CitationArcoumanis, C. and Fairbrother, R., "Computer Simulation of Fuel Injection Systems for DI Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 922223, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922223.
- Giffen, E. Rowe, AW. Pressure Calculations for Oil Engine Fuel Injection Systems Proc. IMechE 141 1939
- Knight, B.E. Fuel Injection System Calculations Proc. Auto Div. IMechE 61 1960-61
- Scullen, R.S. Hames, R.J. Computer Simulation of the GM Unit Injector SAE paper 780161 1978
- Erdmann, H-D Schindler, K-P Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of Injection Systems of Diesel Engines IMechE Conf., Paper C125/82 1982
- Parsons, M.G. Harkins, R.W. Investigation of Fuel Injection System Cavitation Problems on the MV James R Barker, MV Mesabi Miner and MV William J. De Lancey Marine Technology 22 3 219 237 July 1985
- Koike, M. Imai, K. Yamada, M. Kamiya, M. Yanagihara, H. Simulation of Abnormal Fuel Injection in Diesel Engines SAE paper 900345 1990
- Takaishi, T. Tateishi, M. Kunimoto, E. Dynamic Response of Fuel Injection System of Diesel Engines IMechE Seminar on Engine Transient Performance November 1990
- Goyal, M Modular Approach to Fuel Injection Simulation SAE paper 780162 1978
- Wylie, E.B. Bolt, J.A. El-Erian, M.F. Diesel Fuel Injection System Simulation and Experimental Correlation SAE paper 710569 1971
- Matsuoka, S. Yokota, K. Kamimoto, T. lgoshi, M. A Study of Fuel Injection Systems in Diesel Engines; Parts I & II SAE papers 760551 &760552 1976
- Gibson, D. H. A Flexible Fuel Injection Simulation SAE paper 861567 1986
- Marcic, M. Kovacic, Z. Computer Simulation of the Diesel Fuel Injection System SAE paper 851583 1985
- Kumar, K. Gaur, R.R. Garg, R.D. Gajendra Babu, M.K. A Finite Difference Scheme for the Simulation of a Fuel Injection System SAE paper 831337 1983
- Aguirre, I.A. Quiros, .AL. Rodriguez, J.V. Computer Simulation of Diesel Fuel Injection Equipments SIA Paper No 92003, International Congress on ‘The Powertrain: development and future’ Valencia 14-15 May 1992
- Becchi, G.A. Analytical Simulation of Fuel Injection in Diesel Engines SAE paper 710568 1971
- Dow, R.B. Fink, C.E. Computation of some Physical Properties of Lubricating oils at High Pressures. Part I Journal of Applied Physics II 353 357 May 1940
- Takaishi, T. Tateishi, M. Kunimoto, E. Matsuo, T. Nagae, Y. Oikawa, H. Prediction of Cavitation Erosion in Diesel Engine Fuel Injection Systems SAE paper 871631 1987
- Meier, G E A Chaves, H. Bode, J. The Influence of Cavitation on Spray Formation of Diesel Injection Nozzles 89 AutoTech Exhibition & Congress, Integrated Diesel European Action (IDEA) I, C399/13 Seminar 1989
- Gibson, D.H. Dionne, P.J. Singhal, A.K. A Numerical Model for Elastohydrodynamic Analysis of Plunger and Barrel Clearances in Fuel Injection Equipment SAE Paper 900823 1990
- Xu, M. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. A Practical Calculation Method for Injection Pressure and Spray Penetration in Diesel Engines SAE Paper 920624 1992
- Arcoumanis, C. Baniasad, S Gibbins, J.R. Measurement and Analysis of Injection Rate Variations in DI Diesel Engines IMechE Seminar on ‘Diesel Fuel Injection Systems’ April 1992