This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulating the Interfacial Thermohydrodynamical and Thermomechanical Phenomena of Wet Clutch Discs by 3-D FEM Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper a numerical simulation of the interfacial elasto-thermo-hydrodynamical and thermomechanical phenomena in wet clutch in engagement is presented. The hydrodynamics and heat transfer in oil film, the heat conduction and thermal stress in clutch plates, the thermal deformation of mating surfaces and its influence on the hydrodynamics of lubricant, the boundary lubrication in solid to solid contact are all considered in the model. The model is solved by the finite element method. A real braking engagement in experiment is analysed as an example and a comparison with experimental results is made.
CitationLuo, Y., Han, Z., Tang, J., and Zhang, Y., "Simulating the Interfacial Thermohydrodynamical and Thermomechanical Phenomena of Wet Clutch Discs by 3-D FEM Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 922096, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922096.
- Wu, H. An Analysis of the Engagement of Wet Clutch plates Wear 1973 24 23
- Zagrodzki, P. Numerical Analysis of Temperature and Thermal Stresses in the Friction Discs of a Multidisc Wet Clutch Wear 1985 101 225
- El-Sherbiny, M. G. Newcomb, T. P. Numerical Simulation of the Engagement Characteristics of a Wet Clutch Proc. I. Mech. E. 1977 81
- Galeao, A. C. Do Carmo, E. G. A Consistent Approximate Upwind Petrov-Galerkin Method for Convection-Dominated Problem Comput. Meths. Appl. Mech. Engrg 68 1988 83 95
- Cater, J. P. Booker, J. R. Finite Element Analysis of Thermo-elastisity Computers and Structures 1989 31 73
- Wu, H. Squeeze-Film Behavior for Porous Annular Discs J. Lub. Tech. Trans. ASME 1970 92 593
- Kenneth H. H. The Finite Element Method for Engineers John Wiley &. Sons, Inc. New York 1975
- Zhi-peng H. Wen-yue S. Bing-ru D. Measuring Surface Temperature Distribution on Clutch Discs
- Wang-yi W. Fluid Dynamics 1 2 Beijing University Press Beijing, China 1982
- Patankar Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow McGrawHill 1980
- Christie I. Griffths D. F. Mitchell A. R. Finite Element Methods For Second Order Diferential Equations with Significant first derivatives Int. J. Num. Meth. Engng. 10 1976 1389 1396
- Herinrich J. C. Huyakorn P. S. Ziankienwicz O. C. Mitchell R. An Upwind Finite Element Scheme for Two-dimensional Convective Transport Equation Int. J. Num. Meth. Engng. 11 1977 134 143
- Brooks A. N. Hughes T. J. R. Streamline Upwind Petrov-Galerkin Formulation for Convection-dominated Flows with Particular Emphasis on the Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engng. 32 1982
- Mizukami A. Hughes T. J. R. A Petrov-Galerkin Finite Element Method for Convection-dominated Flows: An Accurate Upwind Technique for Satisfying the Maximum Principle Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engng. 50 1985 181 193
- Hughes T. J. R. Mallet M. Mizukami A. A New Finite Element Formulation for Computational Fluid Dynamics: II Beyond SUPG Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engng. 54 1986 341 355
- Reddy J. N. Applied Functional Analysis and Variational Methods in Engineering McGraw Hill Inc. 1986