This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aircraft Braking Induced Tire Wear
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Employing a combined mechanical abrasion and thermochemical degradation model, an overall tire-braking simulation is developed to enable the bounding of potential braking induced tread wear in aircraft tires. The model incorporates the effects of: i) the highly nonlinear tire braking friction-slip behavior; ii) the potential to handle a variety of brake configurational effects; iii) aircraft drag and lift as well as; iv) fore-aft loads on the landing gear.
CitationPadovan, J., Padovan, P., and Kazempour, A., "Aircraft Braking Induced Tire Wear," SAE Technical Paper 922042, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922042.
- Padovan, J. Kazempour, A. Aircraft Landing-Induced Tire Spinup Journal of Aircraft 28 2 849 854 1991
- Padovan, J. Padovan, P. Kazempour, A. Spinup Wear in Aircraft Tires Journal of Tire Science and Technology
- Sobieski, I. A Theoretical and Experimental Investigation into the Pre-Rotation of Aircraft Tires AIAA Jr. 29 1 40 1991
- Currey, N.S. Landing Gear: Design Handbook 1st Lockheed Georgia Co. Marietta Jan. 1983
- Tanner, J.A. Dreher, R.C. Stubbs, S.M. Smith, E.G. Tire Tread Temperatures During Antiskid, Braking and Cornering on a Dry Runway NASA TP 2009 1982
- McCarty, J.L. Yager, T.J. Riccitello, S.R. Wear Friction and Temperature Characteristics of an Aircraft Tire Undergoing Braking and Cornering NASA TP 1569 1979
- Dougherty, R.H. Stubbs, S.M. Spinup Studies of the Space Shuttle Orbiter Main Gear Tire SAE 881360 Aero Tech. Confer., Cal. Oct. 1988
- Clark, S.K. Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires U.S. Government Printing Office Washington, D.C. 1979
- Schlichting, H. Truckenbrodt, E. Ramm, H.J. Aerodynamics of the Airplane McGraw-Hill Inter. Book Co. New York 1979
- Padovan, J. Tovichakchaikul, S. Finite Element Analysis of Steadily Moving Contact Fields Computers and Structures 18 191 1984
- Padovan, J. Kazempour, A. Multibody Instantly Centered Moving Lagrangian Observer Scheme, Parts I and II Computers and Structures 32 93 111 1989
- Schallanmach, A. Grosch, K. Tire Traction and Wear 365 474 Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires Clark, S.K. U.S. Government Printing Office Washington, D.C. 1979
- Bathe, K.J. Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis Prentice Hall New Jersey 1982
- King, J.C. Hill AFB, UT, private communications - F16 tire wear data 1992