This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Use Emissions and Performance Monitoring of Heavy Duty Vehicles Using a Transportable Transient Chassis Test Facility
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Regulated gaseous and particulate emissions were obtained from in-use vehicles, two trucks and two buses, operated on the Transportable Heavy Duty Engine Emissions Testing Laboratory. Presented here is the data on transient emissions from a refuse truck with a Cummins LTA10-260 engine, a GMC tractor with a CAT 3176 engine and two buses with Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA engines (one with a particulate trap and the other without) when tested on different fuels. The reported study on in-use heavy duty vehicles is part of an on-going program aimed at establishing a database on the exhaust emissions from vehicles tested on a chassis dynamometer under conditions that represent the ‘real-world’ situations. The paper also discusses, briefly, the entire testing laboratory. The Transportable Laboratory can be effectively used in testing programs, such as recall, deterioration and emission factors. The study provides, for the first time, a test method to acquire emissions data from in-use heavy duty vehicles tested under real operating conditions.
CitationGautam, M., Ferguson, D., Wang, W., Bata, R. et al., "In-Use Emissions and Performance Monitoring of Heavy Duty Vehicles Using a Transportable Transient Chassis Test Facility," SAE Technical Paper 921751, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/921751.
- Black, F. Ray, W. King, F. Karches, W. Bradow, R. Perry, N. Duncan, J. Crews, W. 1984 “Emission from In-Use Heavy Duty Gasoline Trucks” SAE 841356
- France, C.J. Clemmons, W. Wysor, T. 1979 “Recommended Practice for Determining Exhaust Emissions from Heavy-Duty Vehicles under Transient Conditions” Technical Report SDSB 79-08 EPA
- Dietzmann, H.E. Parness, M.A. Bradow, R.L. 1980 “Emissions from Truck by Chassis Version of the 1983 Transient Procedure” SAE 801371
- Dietzmann, H.E. Parness, M.A. Bradow, R.L. 1981 “Emissions from Gasoline and Diesel Delivery Trucks by Chassis Transient Cycle” ASME 81-DGP-6
- Gautam, M. Clark, N. Lyons, D. Long, T.R. Howell, A. Loth, J. Palmer, G.M. Bata, R. 1991 “Design Overview of a Heavy Duty Mobile Emissions Testing Laboratory” ASME DE-Vol. 40 Advanced Auto. Tech. 199 207 WAM Atlanta
- Wang, W.G. Bata, R. Lyons, D. Clark, N. Palmer, G.M. Gautam, M. Howell, A. Rapp, B. 1992 “Transient Response in a Dynamometer Power Absorption System” SAE 920252
- Ferguson, D. Gautam, M. Palmer, G.M. Loth, J. Nussear, D. Lyons, D. Clark, N. Wang, W. Bata, R. Napolitano, M. Smith, R. 1992 “Emissions Measurement System for a Transportable Heavy Duty Engine Transient Chassis Test Facility” 25th Int'l. Symp. on Automotive Technology and Automation Florence, Italy June 1-5 1992
- Clark, N.N. Gautam, M. Bata, R.M. Loth, J.L. Palmer, G.M. Wang, W.G. Lyons, D.W. 1992 “Design and Operation of a New Transportable Laboratory for Emissions Testing of Heavy Duty Trucks and Buses” Accepted, Invited Paper, Intl. J.Vehicle Design
- Federal Register 1991 CFR 40, Part 86, Subpart N July 1 1991 U.S. Govt. Printing Office Washington
- Dietzmann, H.E. Warner-Selph, M.A. 1985 “Comparison of Emissions from Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles During Transient Operation” Energy-Sources and Tech. Conf. and Exhib. Dallas, TX Feb. 17-21 1985
- Lyons, D.W. Bata, R.M. Wang, W.G. Clark, N. Palmer, G.M. Gautam, M. Howell, A. Loth, J. Long, T.R. 1991 “Design and Construction of a Transportable Heavy Duty Vehicle Emission Testing Laboratory” Proc. Annual Automotive Technology Development Contractors' Coordination Meeting Dearborn, MI Oct. 28-31 1991
- Rideout, G. 1991 “Exhaust Emissions from Natural Gas and Diesel Powered Urban Transit buses During Transient Operation” Final Report Mobile Sources Emissions Division, Environment Canada Ottawa, Canada
- Smith, M. 1978 “Heavy-Duty Vehicle Cycle Development” U.S. EPA Ann Arbor, MI
- France, C.J. 1978 “Transient Cycle Arrangement for Heavy-Duty Engine and Chassis Emission Testing” Technical Report HDV 78-04 U.S. EPA Ann Arbor, MI
- Hare, Charles T. Bradow L. 1979 “Characterization of Heavy-Duty Diesel Gaseous and Particulate Emissions, and Effects of Fuel Composition” SAE 790490
- Shamah, E. Wagner, T.O. 1973 “Fuel Quality or Engine Design: Which Controls Diesel Emissions?” SAE 730168
- Broering, L.C. Holtman, L.W. 1974 “Effect of Diesel Fuel Properties on Emissions and Performance” SAE 740692