This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Model for Axisymmetric Collapse of Circular Tubes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analysis of the crush behavior of circular tubes in axisymmetric buckling. A new kinematic model is established and analyzed. A theoretical expression for the half-buckling wave length is derived from the new model, and parameters such as effective crushing distance, peak crush load, and minimum crush load are calculated. This new model can reflect the inward and outward collapse processes observed in crush experiments, and the theoretical results are in good agreement with experiments.
CitationYuan, Y. and Viegelahn, G., "A New Model for Axisymmetric Collapse of Circular Tubes," SAE Technical Paper 921071, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/921071.
- Alexander, J. M. “An Approximate Analysis of the Collapse of Thin Cylindrical Shells under Axial loading” Q. J. Mech. Appl. Math., 13 10 15 1960
- Abramowicz, W. Jones N. “Dynamic Axial Crushing of Circular Tubes” Int. J. Impact Engng 2 3 263 281 1984
- Wierzbicki, T. Bhat S. U. “A Moving Hinge Solution for Axisymmetric Crushing Tubes” Int. J. Mech. Sci. 28 3 135 151 1986
- Allan, T. “Investigation of the Behavior of Cylindrical Tubes Subject to Axial Compressive Forces” J. Mech. Engng. Sci. 10 182 197 1968
- Mahmood, H. F. Paluszny A. “Axial Collapse of Thin Wall Cylindrical Column” SAE Paper No. 840727 1984
- Andronicou, A. Walker A. C. “A Plastic Collapse Mechanism for Cylinders under End Compression” J. Constr. Steel Res. 1 4 23 34 1981
- Grzebieta, R. H. “An Alternative Method for Determining the Behavior of Round Stocky Tubes Subjected to an Axial Crush Load” Thin-Walled Structures: Developments in Theory and Practice Donald I. B. 61 89 1990
- Yuan, Y. B. “Crashworthy Characteristics of Circular Tubes in Axisymmetric Buckling” Michigan Technological University 1991