This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Can Glass Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Composites be Recycled?
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Now, end-users demand to know the recycling characteristics of the products they specify due to a worldwide environmental impact awareness. In turn, the material suppliers are aggressively evaluating the retention of product properties and the feasibility of reuse options. Today, cost effective glass fiber thermoplastic composites are growing fast in automotive applications; especially for energy management systems. AZDEL® composites are employed in bumper beam, instrument panel, knee bolster, and load floor applications; specifically, because of their excellent strength-to-weight advantage and toughness. These composites consist of polypropylene resin and glass fiber reinforcement in mat or chopped forms.
This presentation will review the properties of recycled edge trim and out-of-specification product generated in the original sheet manufacturing plant, compression molded parts outside quality specification, trim or cutouts from molded parts, and molded parts returning from their original use in the field. The effect processing methods have on glass reinforcement length and thermal stability of the matrix resin will be assessed via multi-axial impact.
CitationReinhard, D., "Can Glass Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Composites be Recycled?," SAE Technical Paper 920855, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920855.
SAE 1992 Transactions: Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V101-2; Published: 1993-09-01
Number: V101-2; Published: 1993-09-01
- Sikes, S. 1986 “Stampable Plastics Composites Gaining Ground,” Machine Design May 22
- Six, J. R. 1986 “High Performance Safety Parts from Stampable Thermoplastic Sheets (GMT-Glass Mat Reinforced Thermoplastics) Interpretation for Automotive Applications,” SAE Transactions Detroit, MI February 24-28 1986 860276 15 20
- Deans, F. S. 1987 “Automotive Thermoplastics: Their Use and Applications,” 32nd International SAMPE Symposium Preprints Anaheim, CA April 1987
- Reinhard, D. L. 1988 “Reinforces Thermoplastics Composites in Transportation Applications,” SAE Transactions Detroit, MI February 29 March 4 1988 880153 53 59
- Deans, F. S. Carlen J. W. 1988 “Performance, Production and Applications of Compression Molded Metal/Thermoplastic Composite Laminates.” SAE Transactions Detroit, MI February 29 March 4 1988 880158 73 77
- Reinhard, D. L. 1988 “Thermoplastics Composites-Today and Tomorrow” SPE/Advanced Polymer Composites Technical Conference Reprints Los Angeles, CA November 16 1988 133 144
- Deans, F. S. Chilva T. E. 1986 “High-Speed Thermoplastics Compression Molding,” 2nd annual ASM-ESD Advanced Composites Conference Dearborn, MI
- Kolberg, R. F. 1987 “Structural Designs in Thermoplastic Composite Structure,” RETEC, Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. Detroit, MI 295 298
- Tomkinson-Walles, Gayle D. 1988 “Performance of Random Glass Mat Reinforced Thermoplastics,” Journal of Thermoplastic Composites materials 1 94 106
- Good, S. J. Pageau K. N. 1988 “Energy Management of Thermoplastic Composites in Automotive Instrument Panels/Components: An Option for FMVSS208,” SAE Transactions Detroit, MI February 29 March 4 1988 880503 1 6
- Battino, G. Wood G. 1987 “Reinforced Thermoplastics Moldable Sheet Reaches New Horizons Through Process Improvements and New Automated Manufacturing Methods,” 42nd Annual Conference, Composites Institute Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. February 2-6 1987
- Reinhard, D. L. 1990 “Prototype Forming Processes for Thermoplastics Composites,” 22nd International SAMPE Technical Conference Boston, MA November 6-8 1990
- Lepore, S. Molina G. Rossi F. S. Serra R. 1990 “Compression Molding Behavior and Performance of Glass Reinforced Thermoplastics,” 45th Annual Conference Composites Institute, The Society of Plastics Industry, Inc. Washington, D.C. February 12-15 1990 1 10
- Reinhard, D. L. Giles Harold F. Dr. “Molding Parameters of Compression Molded Thermoplastics Composites 46th Annual Conference Composites Institute, The Society of Plastics Industry, Inc. Washington D.C. February 18-21 1991 1 5
- Kreisher, Keith, R. “Recyclability Keys PP Growth in European Autos,” Modern Plastics 55 58 October 1991
- Jutte, Ralph B. Graham, David W. “Recycling SMC Scrap as a Reinforcement,” Plastics Engineering 13 16 May 1991
- Godlewski, R.E. “Polypropylene Composites Containing Recycled Ground SMC,” SPE ANTEC Proceedings Montreal 2134 2138 May 6-9 1991