This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development Experience of a Poppet-Valved Two-Stroke Flagship Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The gasoline-fuelled direct injection poppet-valved two-stroke engine described in (1) has been built in single cylinder form and tested to evaluate the potential of this concept as a passenger car powerplant. Development of the combustion and scavenge system is described.
Following development, the engine produced a specific power output of 90 kW/litre at 5000 rev/min, with a peak torque of 200 Nm/litre at 2000-2500 rev/min. HC emissions were maintained in the range 3-15 g/kWh over the majority of the engine operating range and NOx emissions in the load range used in the FTP drive cycle were less than 3 g/kWh. Part load fuel consumption under steady state conditions was 8% lower than for a stoichiometric four-stroke engine sized for equal power output.
CitationStokes, J., Hundleby, G., Lake, T., and Christie, M., "Development Experience of a Poppet-Valved Two-Stroke Flagship Engine," SAE Technical Paper 920778, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920778.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Hundleby G.E. “Development of a Poppet-Valved Two-Stroke Engine - The Flagship Concept” SAE 900802
- Seeber K.P. Gilbert W.R. Schlunke C.K. “I.C. Engine Fuel Injection by Gas Under Pressure”
- Back N.J. Johnson W.P. Barkhimer R.L. Patterson S.H. “Electronic Fuel Injection for Two-Cycle Gasoline Engines” SAE 861242
- Schechter M.M. Levin M.B. “High Speed Fuel Injection System for Two-Stroke DI Gasoline Engine” SAE 910666
- Schlunke K. “Der Orbital Verbrennungsprozess des 2-Takt-Motors” 10th VDI International Engine Symposium Vienna 1989
- Duret P. Moreau J-F. “Reduction of Pollutant Emissions of the IAPAC Two-Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Injection” SAE 900801
- “Subaru, Orbital Jolt SAE 2-Stroke Audience” Ward's Engine Update October 1st 1989
- Cameron K. “Back to the Future, Two-Strokes” Cycle May 1990
- “Toyota's Poppet-Valve Controlled and Supercharged Two-Stroke Engines” Automotive Engineering December 1989
- Nakano M. Sato K. Ukawa H. “A Two-Stroke Cycle Gasoline Engine with Poppet-Valves in the Cylinder Head” SAE 901664
- French C.C.J. “A Universal Test Engine for Combustion Research” SAE 830453
- de Boer C.D. Johns R.J.R. Grigg D.W. Train B.M. Denbratt I. Linna J-R “Refinement with Performance and Economy for Four-Valve Automotive Engines” I.Mech.E C394/053
- Rassweiler G.M. Withrow L. “Motion Pictures of Engine Flame Correlated with Pressure Cards” SAE 800131
- Held W. König A. Richter T. Puppe L. “Catalytic NOx Reduction in Net Oxidizing Exhaust Gas” SAE 900496
- Overington M.T. Stokes J. Hundleby G.E. Lesley S. “Two-Stroke Otto Cycle Engines”