This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
FEM Analysis of Mechanical Seals for Water Pumps of Automotive Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Mechanical seals have been applied as sealing devices for water pumps of automotive engines. The mechanical seal plays an important state. Therefore, there are many kinds of constructions.
This paper is concerned with the FEM (Finite Element Method) analytical results for various water pump seal construction. It becomes clear that the property of heat transfer is closely related to the sealing durability.
CitationChiba, K., Komiya, M., Yanagisawa, T., and Hirabayashi, H., "FEM Analysis of Mechanical Seals for Water Pumps of Automotive Engines," SAE Technical Paper 920714, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920714.
- Hirabayashi H. Ohtaki M. Yukimasa T. “Trouble and Countermeasure of Seal for Automotive Application - Part II” SAE, No. 800530 1980
- Kiryu K. Fukahori K. Yanai T. Matsumoto S. Shimomura T. Hirabayashi H. “A Status of Sealing Performance of End-Face Type Seals for Water Pump of Automotive Engines in Japan” SAE, No. 880303 1988
- Kiryu K. Yanai T. Matsumoto S. Koga T. “An Analysis of ‘Ringing’ Phenomena on a Water Pump Mechanical Seal” ASLE Trans. 28 2 261 267 1985
- Kiryu K. Yonehara Y. Matsumoto S. Koga T. “An Analysis of ‘Ringing’ Phenomena in a Water Pump Mechanical Seal (Part III)” STLE, Tribology Trans. 31 2 269 275 1988
- Kiryu K. Tsuchiya K. Yonehara Y. Shimomura T. Koga T. “An Investigation of Deposits Formation on Sealing Surfaces of Water Pump End Face Seals” STLE, Lubrication Engineering 45 1 49 55 1989
- Hirabayashi H. Kiryu K. Okada K. Yoshino A. Koga T. “Electoro-Chemical Investigation of Deposit Formations on Mechanical Seal Surfaces for Diesel Engine Coolant Pumps” Proceedings of the 7th International Colloquium of Automotive Lubrications 2 1990
- Kiryu K. Tsuchiya K. Shimomura T. Yanai T. Okada K. Hirabayashi H. “The Effect of Coolant Additives and Seal Composition on Performance of Water Pump Seals of Automotive Engines” SAE, No. 890609 1989
- Komiya M. Kiryu K. Masuya H. Okada K. Hirabayashi H. “Effect of Silicate in Coolant on Sealing Performance of Mechanical Seals for Water Pumps of Automotive Engines” Proceedings of the Japan International Tribology Conference Nagoya 101 106 1990