This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust System Evaluation and Design by Non-Linear Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the application of the Ricardo non-linear, one-dimensional engine performance simulation program, WAVE, to the problem of exhaust system design for the Chrysler 3.5 liter V6 24 valve engine. This computer-based analysis offers substantially reduced lead times over the ‘build and test’ methods traditionally employed. Furthermore, because tailpipe noise, engine performance and pressure loss are all predicted at the design stage, a more complete solution can be found. Comparisons between measured and predicted results are shown in this paper and the value of many alternative design changes are assessed. Digital sound synthesis techniques developed at Ricardo have also been used to assess the effect of design changes on the perceived sound. Based on this analysis recommendations were made to improve the exhaust system design and the paper concludes with a discussion of the implementation of these changes by Chrysler and Walker Manufacturing, the system supplier.
CitationSapsford, S., Richards, V., Amlee, D., Morel, T. et al., "Exhaust System Evaluation and Design by Non-Linear Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 920686, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920686.
- Morel T. Flemming M.F. Lapointe L.A. ‘Characterisation of Manifold Dynamics in the Chrysler 2.2 SI Engine by Measurements and Simulation’ SAE Paper 900679 February 1990
- Morel T. Flemming M.F. Buuck B.A. ‘Evaluation of Variable Camshaft Effects on Performance of a High Output 4-Valve SI Engine’ XXIII FISITA Congress Torino, Italy May 1990
- Morel T. Keribar R. ‘Comprehensive Model of a Reciprocating Compressor Applicable to Component Design Issues’ 1988 International Compressor Engineering Conference Purdue July 1988
- Munjal M.L. ‘Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers’ John Wiley and Sons 1987
- Morel T. Morel J. Blaser D.A. ‘Fluid Dynamic and Acoustic Modeling of Concentric-Tube Resonators/Silencers’ SAE Paper 910072 February 1991
- Sapsford S.M. ‘Exhaust Noise Synthesis - an Essential Component of Engine Concept Design?” IMechE Quiet Revolutions Conference November 1990