This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Generation of Cyclic Blockloading Test Profiles from Rainflow Histograms
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A numerical method for generating a blockloading profile from a rainflow histogram is described. Unlike previous techniques, this method produces a blockloading profile which, when rainflow-counted, yields a rainflow histogram identical to the original. When implemented with modern data acquisition and signal-processing techniques, this generation method provides a means of developing blockloading test profiles which are correlated with actual service data. This key benefit elevates existing simple testing systems as useful and productive tools despite the emrgence of more complex testing systems.
CitationMartinson, N. and Leese, G., "The Generation of Cyclic Blockloading Test Profiles from Rainflow Histograms," SAE Technical Paper 920664, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920664.
- Matsuishi, M., and Endo, T., “Damage Evaluation of Metals for Random or Varying Loading,” Proceedings of the 1974 Symposium on Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Vol1, The Society of Materials Science, Japan, 1974, pp. 371-380.
- Khosroveneh, A. K. and Dowling, N. E., “Fatigue Loading History Reconstruction Based on the Rainflow Techniques”, International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 12, No. 2 (1990) pp 99-106.
- ASTM Standard, “E 1049 Practice for Cycle Counting in Fatigue Analysis,” Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol 03.01.
- Downing, S.D. and Socie D. F., “Simple rainflow counting algorithms”, International Journal of Fatigue, January 1982, pp 31-40.
- Fatigue under Complex Loading:Analysis and Experiment Edited by: Wetzel R. M., SAE Inc, Warrendale, Pennsylvania, 1977.
- Multiaxial Fatigue, Analysis and Experiments, SAE AE-14, 1989.