This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermomechanical Analysis of a Low Heat Rejection Cylinder Head
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A large scale, high resolution, finite element methodology for analysis of generic thermomechanical behavior of complex, low heat rejection engine components has been developed. This paper describes this process and presents an example evaluation of a low heat rejection cylinder head. Because of symmetry considerations, a one cylinder section of the head was modeled. However, the geometric nature of this cylinder head section required very precise three-dimensional analysis techniques. The completed three-dimensional model contains 40,696 elements and 48,536 nodes. The results of this example model show high stresses at the valve bridge and injector bore. These stresses result from a constrained thermal expansion of the head, and are generally compressive and radial in nature. A comparison of three different material types indicated that two of the three exceeded, and one was below the elastic limit. For the one which was below the elastic limit, it is indeterminate whether it would have acceptable fatigue life. This analysis methodology, used in conjunction with experimental verification, was found to be a very powerful analysis tool.
CitationDanielson, E., Elwart, J., Bryzik, W., and Turner, D., "Thermomechanical Analysis of a Low Heat Rejection Cylinder Head," SAE Technical Paper 920544, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920544.
- Kamo R. Bryzik W. “Cummins-TARADCOM Adiabatic Turbocompound Engine Program,” SAE 810070 1981
- Bryzik W. Woods M. Schwarz E. Glance P. “High Temperature Engine Component Exploratory Design Development,” SAE 890296 1989
- Woods M. Schwarz E. Bryzik W. “Advances in High Temperature Components for the Adiabatic Engine,” SAE910460 1991
- Kamo R. Bryzik W. “Performance and Durability of a Ceramic Coated Adiabatic Engine,” American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1990 ETCC Symposium New Orleans, LA January 1990
- ABAQUS User's Manual Hibbitt, Karlsson, & Sorensen, Inc. 1080 Main St., Pawtucket, RI 1989
- Lu R. Li C. Cai J. “Investigation of Heat Transfer and Thermal Loading in Internal Combustion Engines,” Proceedings of the International Centre for Heat and Mass Transfer Hemisphere Publishing 1989
- PATRAN Plus User's Manual PDA Engineering 2975 Redhill Av., Costa Mesa, CA, 92626 1990
- Bathe, K.J. Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis Prentice-Hall 1982
- ABAQUS Theory Manual Hibbitt, Karlsson, & Sorensen, Inc. 1080 Main St., Pawtucket, Rl 1987