This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NOx Reduction from Diesel Combustion Using Pilot Injection with High Pressure Fuel Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several methods to reduce ignition delay period were tested in combination with a high pressure injection and effects on combustion improvement were examined.
It was found that the reduction of ignition delay does not give so much improvement at the usual injection timing before TDC, but when the injection timing is considerably retarded or when the original ignition delay is relatively long, shortening of the ignition delay is effective to reduce pre-mixed combustion and NOx emission.
Further, assuming the combustion system which conforms to the 1983 Japanese regulation as the reference system, it was found that the combination of pilot injection and high injection pressure, simultaneously reduces NOx by approximately 35% and smoke by 60-80% without worsening the fuel economy.
|Technical Paper||Modulation of Injection Rate to Improve Direct Injection Diesel Engine Noise|
|Technical Paper||Effects of Auxiliary Injection on Diesel Engine Combustion|
CitationShundoh, S., Komori, M., Tsujimura, K., and Kobayashi, S., "NOx Reduction from Diesel Combustion Using Pilot Injection with High Pressure Fuel Injection," SAE Technical Paper 920461, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920461.
- Kato T. Tsujimura K. Shintani M. Minami T. Yamaguchi I. “Spray characteristics and combustion improvement of D.I. diesel engine with high pressure fuel injection” SAE Paper 890265
- Shimada T. Shoji T. Takeda Y. “The effect of fuel injection pressure on diesel engine performance” SAE Paper 891919
- Shundoh S. Kakegawa T. Tsujimura K. Kobayashi S. “The effect of injection parameters and swirl on diesel combustion with high pressure fuel injection” SAE Paper 910489
- Gill A.P. “Design choices for 1990's low emission diesel engines” SAE Paper 880350
- Minami T. Yamaguchi I. Shintani M. Tsujimura K. Suzuki T. “Analysis of fuel spray characteristics and combustion phenomena under high pressure fuel injection” SAE Paper 900438
- Shakal J. Martin J. “Effects of auxiliary injection on diesel engine combustion” SAE Paper 900398
- Miwa K. Ohomija T. Nishitani T. “A study of the ignition delay of diesel fuel spray using a rapid compression machine” JSME Int. Journal 31-1 1988
- Miyaki M. Fujisawa H. Masuda A. Yamamoto Y. “Development of new electronically controlled fuel injection system ECD-U2 for diesel engines” SAE Paper 910252