This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Variable Valve Engine Applying Shuttle Cam Mechanism
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Variable-valve-actuation mechanism is considered to be one of the most suitable solutions to realize the compatibility between higher power output and performances in the practical speed range. A new variable-valve-actuation mechanism named “Shuttle Cam” was designed and studied. In this mechanism which was applied to a conventional motorcycle engine with rocker arms and gear-train-driven valve system, the cam gears move along the idler gear. And cam shafts simultaneously slide along the rocker-arm slipper surfaces which are concentric with the idler gear. Consequently valve lift varies continuously in accordance with the alteration in the rocker-arm lever ratio and the cam phasing changes simultaneously in accordance with the cam gear rotation.
Result of the experiments has confirmed that the mechanism functions accurately even at high speeds up to 10,000 rpm and some improvements were achieved in power output, fuel consumption, idling quality, and exhaust-noise level.
CitationYagi, S., Miura, S., Satoh, l., Ishibashi, Y. et al., "A New Variable Valve Engine Applying Shuttle Cam Mechanism," SAE Technical Paper 920450, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920450.
- Titolo A. “Variable Valve Control from Fiat” MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschrift 47 5 185 188 May 1986
- Hara S. Kumagai K. Matsumoto Y. “Application of a Valve Lift and Timing Control System to an Automotive Engine” SAE paper 890681 1989
- Ma T.H. “Effect of Variable Engine Valve Timing on Fuel Economy” SAE paper 880390 1988
- Grohn M. Wolf K. 12 122 385 402 1989
- Maekawa K. Ohsawa N. Akasawa A. “Development of a Valve Timing Control System” SAE paper 890680 1989
- Inoue K. Nagahiro K. Ajiki Y. Kishi N. “A High Power, Wide Torque Range, Efficient Engine with a Newly Developed Variable-Valve-Lift and -Timing Mechanism” SAE paper 890675 1989
- Livengood J.C. Rogowski A.R. Taylor C.F. “The Volumetric Efficiency of Four-Stroke Engines” SAE Quaterly Transactions 6 4 617 631 1952
- Yagi S. Ishizuya A. Fujii I. “Research and Development of High-Speed, High-Performance, Small Displacement Honda Engines” SAE paper 700122 1970