This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emissions Measurements in a Steady Combusting Spray Simulating the Diesel Combustion Chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In-cylinder control of particulate emissions in a diesel engine depends on careful control and understanding of the fuel injection and air/fuel mixing process. It is extremely difficult to measure physical parameters of the injection and mixing process in an operating engine, but it is possible to simulate some diesel combustion chamber conditions in a steady flow configuration whose characteristics can be more easily probed. This program created a steady flow environment in which air-flow and injection sprays were characterized under non-combusting conditions, and emissions measurements were made under combusting conditions. A limited test matrix was completed in which the following observations were made.
Grid-generated air turbulence decreased particulates, CO, and unburned hydrocarbons, while CO2 and NOx levels were increased. The turbulence accelerated combustion, resulting in more complete combustion and higher temperatures at the measurement location.
- Increased injection pressure at equivalent fuel flowrates reduced particulate, CO, CO2, and NOx levels, while unburned hydrocarbon levels increased. The higher injection pressures resulted in more complete fuel/air mixing although combustion was not as complete because the spray reached the measurement location in a shorter period of time.
CitationSchwalb, J. and Ryan, T., "Emissions Measurements in a Steady Combusting Spray Simulating the Diesel Combustion Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 920185, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920185.
SAE 1992 Transactions: Journal of Engines
Number: V101-3; Published: 1993-09-01
Number: V101-3; Published: 1993-09-01
- Amann, C. A. Stivender, D. L. Plee, S. L. MacDonald, J. S. 1980 “Some Rudiments of Diesel Particulate Emissions,” SAE Paper No. 800251 SAE special publication 86
- Baines, W. D. Peterson, E. G. “An Investigation of Flow Through Screens,” Trans. A. S. M. E. July 1951 467 480
- Bachalo, W. D. Houser, M. J. Smith, J. N. 1986 “Evolutionary Behavior of Sprays Produced by Pressure Atomizers,” AIAA Paper 86-0296
- Dent, J. C. 1980 “Turbulent Mixing Rate - Its Effect on Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper No. 800092 86
- Dodge, L. G. Schwalb, J. A. Ryan, T. W. III 1992 “Steady-State Diesel Spray Characterization,” Paper Presented at the 1992 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI
- Kakegawa, T. Suzuki, T. Tsujimura, K. Shimoda, M. 1988 “A Study on Combustion of High Pressure Fuel Injection for Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper No. 880422
- Kato, T. Tsujimura, K. Shintani, M. Minami, T. Yamaguchi, I. 1989 “Spray Characteristics and Combustion Improvement of D. I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection,” SAE Paper No. 890265
- Khan, I. M. Greeves, G. Wang, C. H. T. 1973 “Factors Affecting Smoke and Gaseous Emissions from a Direct Injection Engine and Method of Calculation,” SAE Paper No. 780169 82
- Khan, I. M. Wang, C. H. T. Longridge, B. E. 1977 “Effects of Air Swirl on Smoke and Gaseous Emissions from Direct Injection Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper No. 77012 81
- Minami, T. Yamaguchi, I. Shintani, M. Tsujimura, K. Suzuki, T. 1990 “Analysis of Fuel Spray Characteristics and Combustion Phenomena Under High Pressure Fuel Injection,” SAE Paper No. 90438
- Shundoh, S. Kakegawa, T. Tsujimura, K. Kobayashi, S. 1991 “The Effect of Injection Parameters and Swirl on Diesel Combustion with High Pressure Fuel Injection,” SAE Paper No. 910489
- Smith, O. I. 1981 ‘Fundamentals of Soot Formation in Flames With Application to Diesel Engines Particulate Emissions,’ Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 7 275
- Uyehara, O. A. 1980 “Effect of Burning Zone A/F, Fuel H/C on Soot Formation and Thermal Efficiency,” SAE Paper NO. 800252 86
- Yamaguchi, I. Nakahira, T. Komori, M. Kobayashi, S. 1990 “An Image Analysis of High Speed Combustion Photographs for D. I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection,” SAE Paper No. 901577