This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrocarbon Emissions of SI Engines as Influenced by Fuel Absorption-Desorption in Oil Films
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In-cylinder absorption and desorption of fuel by lubricating oil films is assumed to be among the main sources of unburned hydrocarbon emissions from spark ignition engines. As this phenomenon is mainly conditioned by the solubility of fuel in lubricant, differences in hydrocarbon emission levels were measured running an automotive engine, with various couples of singular constituent fuels and lubricants. In this way it was found that lowering the solubility by a factor of 40 caused an average HC emission reduction of 30%.
It was found too that with commercial unleaded fuels the lubricant constitution had little influence on the emissions. As this fact was difficult to explain, and because the gasoline solubility values are not available, a single cylinder engine with an extended piston was specially designed to run with or without oil between the cylinder liner and the piston rings. The experimental method has been validated using an insoluble gaseous fuel (propane). Other experiments carried out with this set-up confirmed the results obtained with the automotive single cylinder engine, and showed once again the relatively low interaction between commercial fuels and lubricants.
CitationGatellier, B., Trapy, J., Herrier, D., Quelin, J. et al., "Hydrocarbon Emissions of SI Engines as Influenced by Fuel Absorption-Desorption in Oil Films," SAE Technical Paper 920095, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920095.
SAE 1992 Transactions: Journal of Fuels & Lubricants
Number: V101-4; Published: 1993-09-01
Number: V101-4; Published: 1993-09-01
- Dyer T.M. “On the sources of unburned hydrocarbon emissions from lean burn engines” VDI-Berichte 1985 3 4
- LoRusso J.A. Kaiser E.W. Lavoie G.A. “Quench layer contribution to exhaust hydrocarbons from a spark-ignited engine” Combustion Science and Technology 1981 25 121 125
- Yoshida Masahiro “An effect of the topland form of the piston on hydrocarbon emissions of a spark-ignition engine” MTZ Motortechnishe Zeitshrift 41 1980
- Adamczyk A.A. Kach R.A. “The effect of oil layers on hydrocarbon emissions: low solubility oil” Combustion Science and Technology 1984 36 227 234
- Kaiser E.W. Adamczyk A.A. Lavoie G.A. “The effect of oil layers on the hydrocarbon emissions generated during closed vessel combustion” Eighteenth Symposium (international) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1981 1881 1890
- Adamczyk A.A. Kach R.A. “A combustion bomb study of fuel-oil solubility and HC emissions from oil layers” Twentieth Symposium (international) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1985 37 43
- Korematsu K. Takemura S. Gabe M. “Effects of fuel absorbed in oil film on unburned hydrocarbon emissions from spark ignition engines (experiments by combustion bomb)” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng 52 482 1986
- Korematsu K. “Effects of fuel absorbed in oil film on unburned hydrocarbon emissions from spark ignition engines (Numerical model of dynamic process of fuel absorption and desorption)” JSME International Journal 33 3 1990
- Dent J.C. Lakshminarayanan P.A. “A model for absorption and desorption of fuel vapour by cylinder lubricating oil films and its contribution to hydrocarbon emissions” SAE 830652
- Shyy W. Adamson T.C. Jr “Analysis of hydrocarbon emissions from conventional spark-ignition engines” Combustion Science and Technology 1983 33 245 260
- Kaiser E.W. LoRusso J.A. Lavoie G.A. Adamczyk A.A. “The effect of oil layers on the hydrocarbon emissions from spark ignited engines” Combustion Science and Technology 1982 28 69 73
- Korematsu K. Takahashi S. “Effects of fuel absorbed in oil film on unburned hydrocarbon emission from spark ignition engines (Influence of oil added on piston crown on total hydrocarbon concentration in exhaust gas) JSME International Journal 34 3 1991
- Schramm J. Sorenson S.C. “Effects of lubricating oil on hydrocarbon emissions in a SI engine” SAE 890622
- Ma T.H. Woods W.A. Panesar A. Brown P. Dent J.C. Lambert N. “Tracing the sources of hydrocarbon emissions in engines-a review of several research programmes made over the past five years” ImechE 1987
- De Soete G.G. Editions Technip Paris 1977
- Le Coz J.F. Henriot S. Pinchon P. “An experimental and computational analysis of the flow field in a four-valve S.I engine -Focus on cycle-resolved turbulence” SAE 900056