This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of Ground Vehicle Computer Simulations Developed forDynamics Stability Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes validation work carried out for two vehicle dynamics computer simulation programs. One program, referred to as VDANL (Vehicle Dynamics Analysis NonLinear), is intended to simulate passenger cars, vans and light trucks. The second program simulates All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and is referred to as NLATV (NonLinear ATV). The programs have been checked out and validated for a variety of maneuvering conditions and a broad range of vehicles. The programs run on IBM-PC/MS DOS compatible computers, and numerical methods have been used to give numerically stable solutions with reasonable computational speed over a broad range of maneuvering situations.
CitationAllen, R., Rosenthal, T., Klyde, D., Owens, K. et al., "Validation of Ground Vehicle Computer Simulations Developed forDynamics Stability Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 920054, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920054.
- Segel, L., “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of the Response of the Automobile to Steering Control,” Research in Automobile Stability and Control in Tire Performance, Proceedings of the Automobile Div., The Institution of Mechanical Engineers, No. 7, 1956-7, pp. 26-46.
- Weir, D.H., Shortwell C.P., and Johnson W.A., “Dynamics of the Automobile Related to Driver Control,” SAE Paper No. 680194, Feb. 1967.
- Ellis, J.R., Vehicle Dynamics, Business Books Limited, London, 1969.
- Klein, R.H., McRuer D.T., Weir D.H., et al., Automobile Controllability - Driver/Vehicle Response for Steering Control. Vol. I and II. NHTSA DOT HS-801 407 and NHTSA DOT HS-801 406, Feb. 1975.
- Heydinger, G.J., Garrott W.R., Chrstos J.P., et al., “Validation of Vehicle Stability and Control Simulations,” SAE Paper No. 900128, February 1990.
- Allen, R.W., Szostak H.T., Rosenthal T.J., and Klyde D.H., “Field Testing and Computer Simulation Analysis of Ground Vehicle Dynamic Stability,” SAE Paper 900127, Feb. 1990.
- Allen, R.W., Rosenthal T.J., and Szostak H.T., “Steady State and Transient Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling,” SAE Paper No. 870495, (included in SAE SP-699), Feb. 1987.
- Schuring, D.J., Tire Parameter Determination, Vol. I - Summary, NHTSA DOT HS-802 086, Nov. 1976.
- Allen, R.W., Rosenthal T.J., and Szostak H.T., “Effect of Traction Control on Vehicle Limit Performance Handling,” Paper No. 429, Systems Technology, Inc., Hawthorne, CA, presented at the 1989 SCS Western Multiconference, San Diego, CA, 4-6 Jan. 1989.
- Rosenthal, T.J., Klyde D.H., Allen R.W., and Szostak H.T., The Effect of Vertical Terrain Profile on All-Terrain Vehicle Longitudinal and Lateral/Directional Dynamics, TR-1273-1, Systems Technology, Inc., Hawthorne, CA, Jan. 1990.
- Allen, R.W., Szostak H.T., Rosenthal T.J., Klyde D.H., and Owens K.J., Vehicle Dynamic Stability and Rollover, Technical Report 1268-1, Systems Technology, Inc., Hawthorne, CA, Dec. 1990.
- Allen, R.W., Rosenthal T.J., and Szostak H.T., Analytical Modeling of Driver Response in Crash Avoidance Maneuvering: - Vol. I : Technical Background , DOT-HS-807 270, April 1988. - Vol. II : An Interactive Tire Model for Driver/Vehicle Simulation , DOT-HS-807 271, April 1988. - Vol. III : A Trim Model and Computer Program for Determining Ground Vehicle Steady State Operating Conditions and Quasilinear Stability Coefficients , DOT-HS-807 270, April 1988.
- Radt, H.S. Jr., and Milliken, W.F. Jr., “Non-Dimensionalizing Tire Data for Vehicle Simulation,” Institution of Mechanical Engineers, (C133/83), 1983.
- Holloway, D.C., Drach T.J., and Mohanty B., “An Experimental Investigation of Passenger Car Tire Properties at High Slip and Camber Angles,” SAE Paper No. 910233, Feb. 1990.
- Allen, R.W., Szostak H.T., Rosenthal T.J., and Klyde D.H., “Steady State and Dynamic Properties of All Terrain Vehicles Related to Lateral Directional Handling and Stability,” SAE Paper No. 891105, May 1989.
- Allen, R.W., Szostak H.T., Rosenthal T.J., Klyde D.H., and Owens K.J., “Characteristics Influencing Ground Vehicle Lateral/Directional Dynamic Stability,” SAE Paper No. 910234, Feb. 1991.
- Allen, R.W., Rosenthal T.J., Klyde D.H., and Szostak H.T., “Transient Analysis of All Terrain Vehicle Lateral Directional Handling and Stability,” SAE Paper No. 891109, May 1989.