This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Suspension Testing on the New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this paper is to give a description of using the new type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device. The design philosophy and specifications are elaborated on in another SAE paper entitled “Design of a New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device”. The importance of using this new machine will be addressed in this paper.
Because of the ease of use for this new device, testing can be accomplished in hours. To check repeatability, repeat testing can be done in a short period of time. This rapid testing is the main advantage of the new generation of SPMD's. The new SPMD collects raw data from transducers. All data are stored in the computer. Some are used directly to generate graphic outputs. Some are utilized to calculate wanted parameters. Graphs are generated so that some characteristics can be scrutinized. Parameters can be presented either by points or by cross plotting in graphs. Cross plotting is a useful tool for checking correlations between parameters or obtaining other parameters. Examples of results are presented and discussed.
CitationChen, F., Coovert, D., and Guenther, D., "Suspension Testing on the New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device," SAE Technical Paper 920049, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920049.
- Coovert, D.A. Chen, H.F. Guenther, D.A. “Design and Operation of A New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device,” 1992 SAE Paper
- Bell, S.C. Ellis, J.R. Garrott, W.R. Liao, Y.C. “Suspension Testing Using the Suspension Parameter Measurement Device,” SAE Paper 870577 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 23 27 1987
- Garrott, W.R. Ellis, J.R. Bell, S.C. Burns, S.C. “The Design of a Suspension Parameter Measurement Device,” SAE Paper 870576 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 23 27 1987
- Garrott, W.R. Ellis, J.R. Bell, S.C. Burns, S.C. Liao, Y.C. VRTC's Light Vehicle Stability & Control Research Program, Report No. 1 The Suspension Parameter Measurement Device NTIS 1986
- Chen, H.F. Guenther, D.A. “The Effects of Suspension Stiffness on Handling Responses,” SAE Paper 911928 , Passenger Car Meeting and Exposition Nashville, Tennessee September 16 19 1991
- Ellis, JR. Road Vehicle Dynamics John R. Ellis, Inc. Akron, OH 1988
- Chen, H.F. Ride and Attitude Control of Active Suspensions Ph.D. Dissertation Ohio State University 1990
- Loeb, J.S. Chen, H.F. Guenther, D.A. Ellis, JR. “Lateral Stiffness, Cornering Stiffness and Relaxation Length of the Pneumatic Tire,” SAE Paper 900129 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 26 March 2 1990
- Mabrouka, H. Chen, H.F. Maalej, A.Y. Guenther, D.A. “Effect of Lateral Tire Flexibility on the Steering System Dynamic Behavior,” SAE Paper 910239 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 25 March 1 1991