This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ignition Delay and Emissions Characteristics of a Methanol-Diesel Fueled Engine at Low Charge Temperatures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental study was performed to determine the effects of intake air and intake charge temperature on emissions and combustion performance of a diesel engine using air atomized methanol fumigation and diesel fuel injection. A single cylinder, air cooled, naturally aspired direct injection type diesel engine was used in the investigation. Inlet charge temperature was varied over a range of 25°C to -5°C by heating and/or cooling inducted air.
Decreasing inlet charge temperature reduced peak cylinder pressure and increased ignition delay period at a given methanol energy fraction supplied to the engine. Engine thermal efficiency, though it was higher than that experienced with neat diesel fuel over most of the alcohol energy fractions range, decreased as the inlet charge temperature was reduced. Increasing inlet charge temperature for a given methanol fumigation rate increased smoke emitted by the engine, but even with these increased values, the levels of smoke emitted by the engine were significantly lower than those emitted by neat diesel fuel at identical engine operating conditions. NOx emissions decreased as the fraction of methanol energy supplied to the engine increased. At a given methanol energy supply rate, reducing inlet charge temperature resulted in lower NOx; the effect was more significant at zero and sub-zero temperatures.
CitationVarde, K., "Ignition Delay and Emissions Characteristics of a Methanol-Diesel Fueled Engine at Low Charge Temperatures," SAE Technical Paper 920037, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920037.
- Ingamells, J. C. Lindquist, R. H. Methanol as a Motor Fuel or a Gasoline Blending Compound SAE Paper 750123 1975
- Starkman, E. S. Newhall, H. K. Sutton, R. D. Comparative Performance of Alcohol and Hydrocarbon Fuels SAE Publication PT-80/19, 1-20 Society of Automotive Engineers 1980
- Wagner, T. O. Gray, D. S. Zarah, B. Y. Kozinski, A. A. Practicality of Alcohols as Motor Fuel SAE Paper 790429 1979
- Holmer E. Methanol as a Substitute Fuel in the Diesel Engine Proc. of International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology, Wolfsburg, Germany, 2-4 1977 U.S. DOE Translation - Conf. T11175 1978
- Adelman, H. Alcohols in Diesel Engines - A Review SAE paper 790956 1979
- Marshall, W. F. Experiments with Novel Fuels for Diesel Engines U.S. Bureau of Mines Report BERC/TPR-77/8 1978
- Hardenberg, H. O. Schaefer, A. J. The Use of Ethanol as a Fuel for Compression Ignition Engines SAE Paper 811211 1981
- Baker, Q. A. Use of Alcohol-in-Diesel Fuel Emulsions and Solutions in a Medium-Speed Diesel Engine SAE Paper 810254 1981
- Khan, N. Gollahalli, S. R. Performance and Emissions Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Burning Unstabilized Emulsions of Diesel Fuel with Water, Methanol and Ethanol SAE Paper 811210 1981
- Weidmann, K. Menrad, H. Fleet Test, Performance and Emissions of Diesel Engines Using Different Alcohol-Diesel Fuel Blends SAE Paper 841331 1984
- Storment, J. O. Baker, Q. A. Dual Fuelling of a Two-Stroke Locomotive Engine with Alternate Fuels SAE Paper 810252 1981
- Heisey, J. B. Lestz, S. S. Aqueous Alcohol Fumigation of a Single Cylinder DI Diesel Engine SAE Paper 811208 1981
- Varde, K. S. Mixture Temperature of Air-Atomized Methanol and its Effects on Combustion in a DI Diesel Engine ASME Meeting, Proc. of ASME Methanol Conference June 25 27 1986
- Baranescu, R. Fumigation of Alcohols in a Multi-Cylinder Diesel Engine/Evaluation of Potentials SAE Paper 860308 1986
- Bro, K. Pedersen, P. S. Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels: An Experimental Investigation of Methanol, Ethanol, Methane, and Ammonia in a DI Diesel Engine with Pilot Injection SAE Paper 770794 1977
- Borman, G. Foster, D. Alcohol as a Fuel for Farm and Construction Equipment Automotive Tech. Development Contractors Meeting October 1981
- Saeed, M. N. Henein, N. A. Ignition Delay Correlations for Neat Ethanol and Ethanol-DF2 Blends in a DI Diesel Engine SAE Paper 841343 1984
- Annand, W. J. D. Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating I.C. Engines Proc. Inst. Mech. Engineers 177 36 1963
- Uyehara, O. A. Diesel Combustion Temperature on Soot SAE Paper 800969 1980