Prediction of the Crashworthiness of Vehicle Body Aided Computer
Published November 01, 1991 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
It is important to predict the crashworthiness of a body frame in order to design the structure which absorbs the impact energy effectively at the front or rear structure member of the body. We have been analyzing the crashworthiness with the following methods to establish a fundamental concept on the buckling characteristics of the frame at the initial design stage of vehicle development.
The method to introduce the empirical formulas considered with the effective width theory
The finite element method (FEM) based on the plastic joint method
The buckling analysis considered with the initial strain and the inertia force of engine
Nowadays, it is possible to conduct a large deformation analysis of a crashworthiness by using the Super Computer.
This paper describes that the fundamental concept of energy-management could be established by systematically summarizing and arranging the above-mentioned analyses, and presents calculation results of crashworthiness at the front or rear collision by using of entire body involved in the engine, suspension, and so on.
|Technical Paper||LS-DYNA Based Optimization to Satisfy FMVSS 207/210|
|Technical Paper||Light Truck Frame Joint Stiffness Study|
|Technical Paper||Single Point Sensing and Structural Design of Vehicles|
CitationNishimura, I. and Sakurai, T., "Prediction of the Crashworthiness of Vehicle Body Aided Computer," SAE Technical Paper 912581, 1991.
- Fujii O., Sakurai T., et al., Large Deformation Analysis of Automotive, Journal of MHI, Vol. 17, No. 5, 1980 (in Japanese)
- Matsukane H., Sakurai T., et al., Buckling Analysis of Closed-hat Section Frames with Web Beadings, Pre-print of JSAE, 892162, 1989 (in Japanese)
- Takagi M., Sakurai T., Analysis of Crashworthi-ness in Consideration of Inertia Force of Engine, Pre-print of JSAE, 891082, 1989 (in Japanese)
- Takigawa Z., Sakurai T., et al., Analysis of Buckling Phenomenon of 3-D Curved-Frame, Pre-print of JSAE, 901070, 1990 (in Japanese)
- User's Manual “MARC”, MARC
- Benson D.J., Hallquist J.O., et al., The Application of DYNA 3D in Large Scale Crashworthiness Calculation, ASTM Inc, Computers in Engineering Conference, 1986
- Sakurai T., Honma M., et al., Crash Analyses on Passenger Cars, Journal of JSAE, Vol.42, No. 10, 1988 (in Japanese)
- User's Manual “PAM-CRASH”, ESI
- Sakurai T., Aoki T., On the Safety Body Structure of Finite Element Method Analysis, The 12th International Technical Conference on ESV, 89-2a-o-015, 1989
- Timoshenko.Gere, Theory of Elastic Stability, McGRAW-HILL
- Sakurai T., Application of Finite Element Analysis of Structural Crashworthiness for Body Design Stage, The 5th IPC on Automotive Engineering, SAE 891225, 1989