This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Tangential Vibration of the Steering Wheel of Passenger Car
Published November 01, 1991 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
The tendency of high speed and low-weight of passenger car may result in the bad feeling of ride comfort and controllability so that new design concept and technology has been required to solve the problems. Especially, the tangential vibration of the steering wheel makes the driver uncomfortable seriously at high speed [1-5]. So to trace the origin, we use T.L.H. coordinate which is a standard in vehicle design, besides the steering wheel system and the frame are modeled by 20 D.O.F. to estimate dynamic characteristics of new cars with possible changes of the locations of linkages and material properties. Generally, the vehicle frame is considered as a rigid body in the vibration analysis of a vehicle. In this study, however, we have modeled the frame as a elastic body. Moreover, the effects of the dry friction in ball joint and tie-rod, king pin inclination and the side slip of the tire are included in the present analysis to supply design parameters required for new vehicles.
- Joong Hee Kim - Hyundai Motor Company, KOREA
- Ki Sei Kim - Hyundai Motor Company, KOREA
- Chol Hui Pak - Inha University Mechanical Engineering
- U-Sik Lee - Inha University Mechanical Engineering
- Sung Chul Hong - Inha University Mechanical Engineering
- Sang Kee Song - Inha University Mechanical Engineering
CitationPak, C., Lee, U., Hong, S., Song, S. et al., "A Study on the Tangential Vibration of the Steering Wheel of Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 912565, 1991.
- Fujiwara Yasuhico Nakayasu Miki “Analysis of Vibration Mode of Vehicle Steering Mechanism,” SAE 710627 1971 1 16
- Pacejka H.B. “Analysis of Shimmy Phenomenon,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 180 1965-66 251 268
- Podgorski W.A. Krauter A.I. “Wheel Shimmy Problem: Its Relationship to Wheel and Road Irregularities,” Vehicle System Dynamics 4 1975 9-41
- Inaba Akinoby Miyajima Masanoei “Design Concept of Front Suspension Compliance Application to the Blue-Bird 910 with Examination of Steering Shimmy,” JSAE Review 1981 43 49
- Kim J. H. Jung S.G. Kim K.K. “An Investigation of the steering Wheel Vibration and Its Reduction in Passenger Cars,” SAE 852267 685 694
- O'callahan, J.C. Chou, C. M. Avitabile, P. Wu, C. H. “Consistent Scaling of Rigid Body and Experimental Flexual Modes,” Proceedings of the 5th International Modal Analysis Conference 1987 1538 1544
- Takahashi, K. Furusawa, M. “Development of Automatic Modal Analysis,” Proceedings of the 5th International Modal Analysis Conference 1987 686 692
- Sharp R.S. Jones C.J. “A Comparison of Tyre Representations in a Simple Wheel Shimmy Problem,” Vhicle System Dynsmics 9 1980 45 57
- Eishima Hiromichi Hamano Keiichi Tanaka Yoshiki Kamata Yoshinobu “Method of Front Wheel Drive Car Body Shake Reduction at Engine Idling,” SAE 870630