This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stability of 4WS Vehicle Based on Side Slip Zeroing Control: Influence of Steering System Dynamics
Published November 01, 1991 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
Some control strategies of four wheel steering (4WS) systems for automobiles have been proposed and studied in the past in order to improve maneuverability at low speeds and handling and stability at high speeds. An fundamental idea among these control strategies is to make the car body side slip motion zero from a view point of attitude control of the car body. There have been many reports on advantages of the 4WS handling and stability performances compared with the conventional front wheel steering system. But there is little study on steering system dynamics related with the four wheel steering systems to investigate into the steering torque or reaction torque which are strongly affected by the steering system dynamics.
This paper analizes the dynamic stability of the 4WS vehicle and the relation between the steering torque and the steering angle which are influenced by the steering system specially by side slip zeroing control. For this purpose a driver is modelled to be a hybrid steering model consisting of a visual feedback and a touch sensation feedback. Theoretical and numerical analyses show dynamic response characteristics of steering torque to steering angle, velocity dependent stability, comparison of step and frequency responses characterized by the side slip zeroing control.
|Technical Paper||A Comparison between Zero Steady State Compensators and Optimal Control Regulators in a 4WS vehicle|
- Masao Nagai - Dept. of Mechanical Systems Engineering Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, JAPAN
- Yoshiyuki Nishizawa - Dept. of Mechanical Systems Engineering Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, JAPAN
- Koichiro Teranishi - Dept. of Mechanical Systems Engineering Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, JAPAN
CitationNagai, M., Nishizawa, Y., and Teranishi, K., "Stability of 4WS Vehicle Based on Side Slip Zeroing Control: Influence of Steering System Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 912564, 1991.
- Iguchi, M. A Cooperative Steering Control between Front and Rear Wheels in Four Wheel Steering Car JSAE Review 8 2 1987
- Fukunaga, Y., et al. Improved Handling and Stability Using Four-Wheel-Steering Proc. of 11th International Conference on E.S.V. Washington 1987
- Furukawa, Y., et al. A Review of Four-Wheel Steering Studies from the Viewpoint of Vehicle Dynamics and Control Vehicle System Dynamics 18 1989 151 186
- Nagai, M. Analysis and Estimation of Closed- Loop Characteristics of Driver-Car Systems by Adaptive Steering Control JSAE Review 8 1 1987 40 48
- Nagai, M. Ohki, M. Theoretical Study on Active Four Wheel Steering System by Virtual Vehicle Model Following Control JSAE Review 9 4 1988 62 71
- Nagai, M. Active Four-Wheel-Steering System by Model Following Control Proc. 11th IAVSD Symposium Kingston, Ont. 1989 428 439