Improvement of Performance for Truck Diesel Engine by Multi Valve System
Published November 01, 1991 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
Recently further improvements of fuel economy and performance of truck diesel engines are required in the market. At the same time, countermeasures for exhaust emissions are requested as a clean air activity. So the improvement of performance and the reduction of emission are keysubjects today.
As a countermeasure for both problems, the reduction of friction is effective. The authors took notice of the pumping loss, and analyzed the pumping loss at the gas exchange process and improved the performance by a multi valve intake & exhaust system. Particularly the multi valve system is effective on a higher boost and/or smaller sized engine because of its larger air and gas flow through the relatively small passage. And the reduction of the fuel rate resulted in better reliability with regard to thermal load and exhaust temperature.
CitationEndo, S., Matsuura, A., and Suzuki, T., "Improvement of Performance for Truck Diesel Engine by Multi Valve System," SAE Technical Paper 912463, 1991.
- Suzuki T., Joko I. and Kakegawa T., “Development of Hino Turbocharged Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 840015
- Sato A., Suenaga K., Noda M. and Maeda Y., “Advanced Boost-up in Hino EP100-II Turbocharged and Charge-Cooled Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 870298
- Endo S., Otani T. and Kakinai A., “An Improvement of Pumping Loss of High Boosted Diesel Engines” FISITA ‘88 SAE Paper 885102
- Oldfield S.G. and Watson N., “Exhaust Valve Geometry and Its Effect on Gas Velocity and Turbulence in an Exhaust Port” SAE Paper 830151
- Asmus T.W., “Valve Events and Engine Operation” SAE Paper 820749
- Aoi K., Nomura K. and Matsuzaka H., “Optimization of Multi-valve, Four Cycle Engine Design-The Benefit of Five-Valve Technology” SAE Paper 860032
- Mikulic L.A., Quissek F. and Fraidl G.K., “Development of Low Emission High Performance Four Valve Engines” SAE Paper 900227
- Charlton S.J. and Pappas P., “A Parametric Study of the Exhaust Valve Requirements of High Output Truck Engines” SAE Paper 850243