This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantification of Aircraft Carbon Brake Wear Using Regression Analysis and Periodic Wave Forms
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new method has been developed to measure and quantify aircraft brake wear. This information is used to evaluate brake life, investigate the effects of design changes, and predict worn brake performance. The process is based on digital acquisition of worn brake disk data. Regression analysis is used to fit the profile data to a specially developed 3-D linear model which quantifies total wear and linear taper. Fourier transforms of the profile data yield frequencies, wave lengths, and phases of the dominant periodic wave forms, which define the profile nonlinearities. Development of these methods has resulted in a new and unique technique for evaluation of aircraft brake wear.
CitationTarter, J., "Quantification of Aircraft Carbon Brake Wear Using Regression Analysis and Periodic Wave Forms," SAE Technical Paper 912174, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/912174.
- Braun, S. G. Ram, Y. M. “Structural Parameter Identification in the Frequency Domain” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control 109 120 123 June 1987
- Draper, N. R. “Applied Regression Analysis” John Wiley and Sons New York, NY 1966
- Franklach, M. Miller, D. L. “Statistically Rigorous Parameter Estimation in Dynamic Modeling Using Approximate Empirical Models” AIChE Journel 31 498 500 March 1985
- Kumar, R. “Fast Frequency Acquisition via Adaptive Least-squares Algorithm” IEE Proceedings Radar and Signal Processing 136 155 60 August 1989
- Jennings, A. “Matrix Computation for Engineers and Scientists” John Wiley and Sons New York, NY 1978
- Marple, S. L. “Digital Spectral Analysis With Applications” Prentice Hall Signal Processing Series Englewood Cliffs, NJ 1987
- Stearns, S. D. “Digital Signal Analysis” Hayden Book Company Rochelle Park, NJ 1975
- Vetterling, B. P. Teukolsky, S. A. Press, W. H. Flannery, B. P. “Numerical Recipies, The Art of Scientific Computing” Cambridge University Press Cambridge, NY 1986
- Vould, H. “Numerically Robust Frequency Domain Modal Parameter Estimation” Sound and Vibration 24 38 40 January 1990
- Walpole, R. E. Myers, R. H. “Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists” Macmillan Publishing Company New York, NY 1985
- Wheeler, R. L. Shteinhauz, G. D. “Computerized Procedure for Vibration Diagnostics of Aircraft Brakes” The 1989 ASME Design Technical Conferences - 12th Biennial Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise Montreal 18-4 101 109 September 1989