This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computational Fluid Dynamics Applications in Airplane Cabin Ventilation System Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two three-dimensional cabin airflow configurations have been the subject of experimental and analytical testing to establish the validity and role of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) tools in the design of cabin airflow distribution systems. The CFD tools considered here are two separate Navier-Stokes computer codes which have been used for a number of applications, including those in the present study. A correlative study of a detailed air supply nozzle configuration has been examined to further understand its flow characteristics and to establish a procedure for examining cases with large size scale differences. The comparison of experimental results with the numerical simulations in the two cases is generally quite good, leading to an increased confidence in the application of CFD methods within the cabin airflow distribution system design arena.
CitationAboosaidi, F., Warfield, M., and Choudhury, D., "Computational Fluid Dynamics Applications in Airplane Cabin Ventilation System Design," SAE Technical Paper 911992, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911992.
- Caplan, K.J. Knutson, G.W. “Influence of Room Air Supply on Laboratory Hoods,” American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal 43 10 738 746 October 1982
- Kotoh, S. Yamonaka, G. “Air Flow Simulation in a Residential Room by a Supercomputer,” Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Science and Engineering on Supercomputers London, England Oct. 22-24 1990
- Kurabuchi, T. Kusuda, T. “Numerical Prediction for Indoor Air Movement,” ASHRAE Journal 29 12 26 30 December 1987
- Heinsohn, Robert Jennings “CAD for Industrial Ventilation,” Mechanical Engineering 104 10 64 69 October 1982
- Yang, K.T. Lloyd, J.R. Kanury, A.M. Satoh, K. “Modeling of turbulent buoyant flows in aircraft cabins,” Combustion Science and Technology 39 1-6 107 118 1984
- Horstman, R.H. “Predicting Velocity and Contamination Distribution in Ventilated Volumes Using Navier-Stokes Equations,” Proceedings of the ASHRAE Conference IAQ 88 Atlanta, Georgia April 11-13 1988
- Patankar, S.V. Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow McGraw-Hill New York 1980
- Kwak, D. Chang, J.L.C. Shanks, S.P. Chakravarthy, S.R. “A Three-Dimensional Incompressible Navier-Stokes Flow Solver Using Primitive Variables,” AIAA Journal 24 3 390 396 March 1986