This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Test Method for Measurement of Pump Fluid-Borne Noise Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel method for evaluating the source flow ripple and source impedance of positive displacement hydraulic pumps is described. The method is based on the measurement and frequency domain analysis of pressure standing waves in a pipe, and uses a secondary source of pressure ripple for excitation of the pump under test. The method is convenient, accurate and versatile and forms the basis of a new British Standard for measurement of a pump fluid-borne noise rating. Representative results are presented for an oil hydraulic pump and for a plunger pump for water-based fluid.
CitationJohnston, D. and Edge, K., "A Test Method for Measurement of Pump Fluid-Borne Noise Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 911761, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911761.
- Unruh, D.R. Outlet pressure ripple measurement of positive displacement hydraulic pumps National conference on fluid power Chicago Oct. 1975
- Szerlag, S.F. Rating pump fluidborne noise SAE paper 750830 Sept. 1975
- Edge, K.A. Wing, T.J. The measurement of the fluid borne noise characteristics of hydraulic components Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs, Part B Nov. 1983 197 247 254
- Larsson, P. Palmberg, J-O. Weddfelt, K. Analysis and measurement of pressure ripple of fluid power pumps Eighth IASTED International Symposium on Measurement, Signal Processing and control Taormina, Italy Sept. 1986
- Theissen, H. Volumenstrompulsation von Kolbenpumpen Oilhydraulik und Pneumatik 24 1980 588 591
- BS 6335 1990. Methods for determining pressure ripple levels generated in hydraulic fluid power systems and components. Part 1. Secondary source method for pumps British Standards Institution London 1990
- Johnston, D.N. Measurement and prediction of the fluid borne noise characteristics of positive displacement pumps PhD thesis 1987 University of Bath
- Edge, K.A. Johnston, D.N. The ‘secondary source’ method for the measurement of pump pressure ripple characteristics. Part 1: description of method Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 204 1990 33 40
- Johnston, D.N. Edge, K.A. The wave propagation characteristics of hydraulic lines Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs 1991
- Edge, K.A. The theoretical prediction of the impedance of positive displacement pumps Seminar on Quieter Oil Hydraulics London Oct. 1980 95 103 Instn. Mech. Engrs
- Davidson, L.C. The internal impedance of centrifugal and positive displacement pumps Conference on Noise and fluids engineering Atlanta, Georgia Nov-Dec 1977 225 231 ASME
- Edge, K.A. Johnston, D.N. The ‘secondary source’ method for the measurement of pump pressure ripple characteristics. Part 2: experimental results Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 204 1990 41 46
- Foster, K. Hannan, D. Fundamental fluidborne and airborne noise generation of axial piston pumps Conference on Quiet Oil Hydraulic Systems London Nov. 1977
- Edge, K.A. Darling, J. A theoretical model of axial piston pump flow ripple First international workshop on Design, modelling and control of pumps University of Bath Sept. 1988
- Stecki, J.S. Davis, D. C. Fluid transmission lines - distributed parameter models. Part 1 -a review of the state of the art Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 1986 200 215 228