This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of IVHS in Europe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Over the past two years a variety of European IVHS initiatives have emerged, quickening the pace set by earlier development work such as Autoguide and LISB.
Migration from early conceptual development to tangible technologies, almost ready for large-scale exploitation is well underway.
In particular, the EC DRIVE Programme and the European vehicle manufacturers PROMETHEUS Programme have acted as catalysts in generating interest in the application of the new technologies.
The complete range of European IVHS initiatives is wide and varied. However it is not our intention to offer a comprehensive overview in this paper.
Instead, this paper covers an outline of current European IVHS applications and develgpments, focusing on those technologies that are, or likely to be, implemented on a significant scale, over the next 5 years.
The impending implementation of such technologies promises to have a dramatic impact on almost every facet of society including the travelling public, commercial organisations and central/local government.
The likely impact on such organisations is only now being defined and assessed. This is discussed in context with the observed responses from such organisations to date.
The final section of this paper, deals with the way in which IVHS technologies may be utilised in the medium to long term, with the likely impact on travel and society.
CitationMcQueen, B. and Catling, I., "The Development of IVHS in Europe," SAE Technical Paper 911675, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911675.
- Department of Transport 1989 “Draft standard for the road-vehicle communications link” Department of Transport UK, TCC Division 1989
- Catling, I Belcher, P 1989 “Autoguide - electronic route guidance for London and the UK” IEE conference publication number 299 February 1989
- Thoone, M L G et al 1987 “The car information and navigation system CARIM and the use of compact disc interactive.” SAE tech. paper 870139
- CEC 1989 Commission of the European Communities “DRIVE '89 - the DRIVE programme in 1989” DRI 200 February 1989
- von Tomkewitsch, R 1987 “LISB: large-scale test ‘Navigation and Information System Berlin.’” Procs. of ITTT Seminar P302 PTRC 1987
- Ministry of Transport and Public Works 1989 “Rekening Rijden - Road Pricing in the Netherlands.” Ministry of Transport and Public Works Netherlands 1989
- Catling I Op de Beek F “SOCRATES: System of Cellular Radio for Traffic Efficiency and Safety” ISATA 1991
- Catling, I 1990 “Functional Requirements of Automatic Debiting Systems within the DRIVE project TARDIS” Proceedings of the SECAP conference March 1990
- Catling Ian Consultancy Ltd. “Wegwijs Feasibility Study Programme Synthesis” Report for the Amsterdam Foundation for Information Technology May 1991
- Polis Task Force “Polis Convergence Report” 1991