This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Identifying Excess Emitters with a Remote Sensing Device: A Preliminary Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There has been considerable interest in applying remote measuring methods to sample in-use vehicle emissions, and to characterize fleet emission behavior. A Remote Sensing Device (RSD) was used to measure on-road carbon monoxide (CO) emissions from approximately 350 in-use vehicles that had undergone transient mass emission testing at a centralized I/M lane. On-road hydrocarbon (HC) emissions were also measured by the RSD on about 50 of these vehicles. Analysis of the data indicates that the RSD identified a comparable number of the high CO emitters as the two speed I/M test only when an RSD cutpoint much more stringent than current practice was used. Both RSD and I/M had significant errors of omission in identifying High CO Emitters based on the mass emission test. The test data were also used to study the ability of the RSD to characterize fleet CO emissions.
CitationGlover, E. and Clemmens, W., "Identifying Excess Emitters with a Remote Sensing Device: A Preliminary Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 911672, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911672.
- Stedman, D.H. Bishop, G.A. “An Analysis of On-road Remote Sensing as a Tool for Automobile Emission Control” ILENR/RE-AQ-90/05
- Stedman, D.H. Bishop, G.A. “Remote Sensing for Mobile Source CO Emission Reduction” Final Report under EPA Cooperative Agreement August 1990
- Bishop, G.A. Stedman, D.H. “Oxygenated Fuels, A Remote Sensing Evaluation” SAE Paper No. 891116
- Stephens, R.D. Cadle, S.H. “Remote Sensing Measurements of Carbon Monoxide Emissions from On-road Vehicles” GM Research Publication May 1990
- Lawson, D.R. et al “Emissions from In-use Motor Vehicles in Los Angeles: A Pilot Study of Remote Sensing and the Inspection and Maintenance Program” Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association August 1990
- October 9 1990 Glover E. Lorang P. “Analysis of Existing Remote Sensing Data”
- “An Evaluation of Remote Sensing for the Measurement of Vehicle Emissions” Sierra Research Report No. SR90-08-02 August 1990
- Pidgeon, W. Dobie, N. “IM240 Transient I/M Dynamometer Driving Schedule and the Composite I/M Test Procedure” Report No. EPA-AA-TSS-I/M-91-01
- June 20 1991 Brown N. Clemmens W. “Compilation of Remote Sensing Data Collected in Indiana”
- Glover, E. Brzezinski, D. “Exhaust Emission Factors and Inspection/Maintenance Benefits for Passenger Cars” Report No. EPA-AA-TSS-I/M-89-2
- Inspection/Maintenance Program Implementation Summary EPA Mobile Source Document July 1990
- EPA Technical Report “Recommended I/M Short Test Procedures For the 1990's: Six Alternatives,” Report No. EPA-AA-TSS-I/M-90-3