This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Optimisation of MDI-Based Polyurethane Foam Backed Automotive Carpet Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes procedures being used to rank the acoustic performance of all-MDl (diphenylmethane di-isocyanate) foam backed automotive carpet systems. The procedures are based on the airborne noise Insertion Loss of the carpet composite measured under laboratory conditions and well established criteria used to assess human response to noisy environments, such as annoyance and speech perception. Data are presented which demonstrate how the interior noise spectrum might be influenced by the unit mass of the heavy layer, and the thickness of the foam backing layer. It is shown that although low modulus isolating systems are predicted to give superior Articulation Index performance other criteria indicate that for incident airborne noise the best overall performance should be achieved with a system having a resonance frequency within the 1/3 octave bands centred at 260Hz and 315Hz. The influence of system design parameters and foam properties on the resonance frequency is discussed.
|Technical Paper||Steady State Reverberation Time Measurement|
|Technical Paper||Application of Dual Density Light Weight Dash Acoustic Insulators in SUVs|
CitationHilyard, N. and Cunningham, A., "Design Optimisation of MDI-Based Polyurethane Foam Backed Automotive Carpet Systems," SAE Technical Paper 911087, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911087.
- Gahlau, H K 1987 Advanced Noise Control In Automotive Engineering Proceedings Polyurethanes World Congress Aug 29 Sept 2 1987 712 716
- Kryter K D 1970 The Effects of Noise on Man Academic Press 70 77
- Bryan E Tempest W Williams D 1978 Vehicle Noise and the Passenger Applied Ergonomics 9.3 151 154
- Williams D 1985 Transport Noise “Noise Handbook” Tempest W Academic Press 1985
- Jha S K 1976 Characteristics and Sources of Noise and Vibration and their Control in Motor Cars J Sound Vib 47 4 543 558
- Hilyard N C Elliot A M Cunningham A MacFarland D 1990 Tailor Made All MDI - based Moulded Floor Systems for the Automotive Industry Proceedings 33rd Annual Polyurethane Technical/Marketing Conference Sept 30 Oct 3 1990 631 638
- Ling M K Hilyard N C Cunningham A 1991 Fundamental Studies of the Acoustic Behaviour of Foam Backed Floor Covering International Conference on Cellular Polymers London, UK 20th-22nd March 1991 RAPRA Technology Ltd