This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Noise and Vibration Refinement of the Ford 3.8 Liter Powertrain
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Continuous improvement of the NVH performance of current production powertrains is a necessary goal of domestic auto makers. In order to maintain a competitive product, it is necessary to re-evaluate proven hardware against demanding NVH performance targets established by the competition. This paper describes an NVH investigation of component modifications to the Ford 3.8 liter powertrain. The hardware investigated includes: ribbed and isolated rocker covers, drop-in roller fulcrums, forged steel and cast iron crankshafts, crankshaft bending damper, full skirt girdle, one piece bearing cap (bearing beam), reduced weight pistons and rods, ribbed sump, and alternate crank pulleys and water pump. At the conclusion of these investigations, a complete powertrain was assembled based on the recommendations generated in this project. The NVH features included in this “quiet” 3.8 liter engine and the rationale behind the decisions are described. NVH improvements include sound power reductions of 4.9 dBA at 1000 RPM in neutral, 3.8 dBA at 3000 RPM under a drive load, and significantly improved vibration characteristics. As a result, the NVH performance criteria established by this “quiet” 3.8 liter engine can serve as realistically attainable targets for further production level design refinement.
CitationAlbright, M. and Staffeld, D., "Noise and Vibration Refinement of the Ford 3.8 Liter Powertrain," SAE Technical Paper 911073, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911073.
- Priede T. Baker J.M. Grover E.C. Ghazy R. 1985 SAE Paper 850972 “Characteristics of Exciting Forces and Structural Response of Turbo Charged Diesel Engines.”
- Priebsch H. Affenzeller J. Kuipers G. 1990 SAE Paper 900019 “Structure Borne Noise Prediction Techniques.”
- Usaba Y. Kuzuoka H. Kamiya N. 1989 Int J. of Vehicle Design 10 1 “Low Noise Design for the Main Structural Parts of V6 Engines.”
- Kinoshita M. Sakamoto T. 1989 SAE Paper 891127 “An Experimental Study of a Torsional Bending Damper Pulley for an Engine Crankshaft.”
- Nakamura Y. Kinoshita T Dohi Y. Hattori K. Futamara K. 1989 SAE Paper 892003 “A New V-8 Engine for the LEXUS LS 400.”
- Aoki H. Ishihama M. Kinoshita A. 1987 SAE Paper 870955 “Effects of Powerplant Vibration on Sound Quality in the Passenger Compartment During Acceleration.”
- Vakita T. Kozawa Y. Sanada K. Sugimoto G. Ogasawara T. 1989 SAE Paper 89115 “Objective Rating of Rumble in Vehicle Passenger Compartment During Acceleration.”
- Beardmore J. Cafeo J 1989 “Low Noise Valve Train.”
- Young C.D. Renowden P.S. 1988 Imech E C31/88 “Measurements and Reduction of Spark Ignition Engine Fuel Injector Noise.”
- Tsuge K. Kanamara K. Kido T. Masuda N. 1985 SAE Paper 850965 “A Study of Noise in Vehicle Passenger Compartment During Acceleration.”