This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biodegradable and Nontoxic Hydraulic Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In response to the growing industry interest in environmentally acceptable (EA) lubricants, a hydraulic oil development program was initiated with these express objectives:
Define the environmental impact and performance expectations for a lubricant used in applications where inadvertent leakage to the environment may occur.
Develop a new product which degrades rapidly and is nontoxic to fish while providing satisfactory field performance in severe applications.
This paper will first review the current regulatory initiatives and proposed ecotox test requirements for this class of lubricant. In addition, ecotox data for the candidate fluids will be presented along with recommendations aimed at more clearly defining the test requirements and limits.
Lubricant performance data, including laboratory evaluation and field experience, for a vegetable-based hydraulic fluid will be presented, identifying both performance strengths and weaknesses.
|Technical Paper||Biodegradable Hydraulic Fluids and Related Lubricants|
|Aerospace Standard||Gland Design, Computation of Seal Squeeze and Gland Volume|
CitationCheng, V., Wessol, A., Baudouin, P., BenKinney, M. et al., "Biodegradable and Nontoxic Hydraulic Oils," SAE Technical Paper 910964, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910964.
- Mannesmann Rexroth technical bulletin RD 90221/10.90 October 1990
- Swern D. Bailey's Industrial Oil and Fat Products 4th 1 2 Wiley Interscience New York 1982
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 1982 Guidelines and Support Documents for Environmental Effects Testing
- Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development 1984 OECD Guidelines for Testing of Chemicals Section 2: Effects on Biotic Systems 203 1 12
- Blackman R. A. A. Franklin F. L. Norton M. G. Wilson K. W. 1980 New Procedures for the Toxicity Testing of Oil Slick Dispersants Fisheries Research Technical Report 39
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 1982 Chemical Fate Testing Guidelines. Aerobic Aquatic Biodegradation
- Co-Ordinating European Council (CEC) Biodegradability of Two-Stroke Outboard Engine Oil in Water
- “Assessment of Water-Polluting Substances,” 1988 German Environmental Protection Agency Unwelt bundesamt, UBA
- EINECS (European Inventory of Existing Commercial Chemical Substances) Registration 1984 Official Journal of the European Communities L 251
- IMO (International Maritime Organization) MARPOL (Marine Pollution) Regulation 1973 1978 Regulations for the Control of Pollution by Noxious Liquid Substances in Bulk
- EC (European Community) “Sixth Amendment” Directive 79/831/EEC (Dangerous Substances Directive)
- Swisher R. D. 1987 Surfactant Biodegradation Marcel Dekker New York 728 729
- Singer M. E. Finnerty W. R. 1984 Microbial Metabolism of Straight-Chain and Branched Alkanes Petroleum Microbiology Atlas R. M. Macmillan, New York 1 59
- Thomas J. M. Yordy R. J. Amador E. E. Alexander M. 1986 Rates of Dissolution and Biodegradation of Water-Insoluble Organic Compounds Appl. Environ. Microbiol 52 290 296
- Sturm R. N. 1973 Biodegradability of Nonionic Surfactants: Screening Test for Predicting Rate and Ultimate Biodegradation J. Am. Oil Chemists Soc. 50 159 167
- Towers B. “Second Report of Friction Experiments (Experiments on the Oil Pressure in a Bearing),” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 58 1885
- Reynolds O. “On the Theory of Lubrication and Its Application to Mr. B. Towers' Experiments, Including an Experimental Determination of the Viscosity of Olive Oil,” Phil. Trans. R. Soc. 177 157 1886
- Odi-Owei S. “Tribological Properties of Some Vegetable Oils and Fats,” STLE Journal 45 11 685 1988
- Jokinen K. V. J. et al. “Hydraulic Fluids,” 1988
- Stenmark G. et al. “Hydraulic Fluids,” 1988
- Naetscher J. “Hydraulic Components and Environmentally Compatible Fluids,” Essen (Germany) lecture 1989
- “Pump Test Procedure for Evaluation of Antiwear Hydraulic Fluids for Mobile Systems,” Vickers Pub. M-2952-S Aug. 1988
- Cheng V. M. Florin G. “Next-Generation Hydraulic Oils with Balanced Performance,” Proc. of the Lisbon Conf. on Tribology Trends in the '90s 1988