This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multiaxial Fatigue Life Prediction Capabilities Increase Accuracy of Fatigue Analysis Software
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fatigue life prediction formula proposed by Fatemi-Socie has been implemented into the fatigue analysis software - ENDURE to account for the multiaxial, out-of-phase fatigue loading conditions. Shear strain amplitude on the maximum shear strain amplitude plane and the maximum stress normal to this plane are the parameters governing such fatigue damage. This approach is compatible with the Coffin-Manson law and can be easily incorporated with the uniaxial fatigue data and finite element stress analysis to perform multiaxial fatigue life predictions. The predicted lives show good agreements with the experimental results of thin-walled tubular and notched shaft specimens of Inconel 718 and 1045-HR steel.
|Technical Paper||Ceramic Fiber Reinforced Piston for High Performance Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||Stress and Fatigue Analyses of Notched Shafts|
CitationLee, C., Ro, H., and Kinariwala, V., "Multiaxial Fatigue Life Prediction Capabilities Increase Accuracy of Fatigue Analysis Software," SAE Technical Paper 910947, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910947.
- Brown, M. W. Miller, K. J. “A Theory for Fatigue Under Multiaxial Stress-Strain Conditions” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. 187 1973 745 755
- Lohr, R.D. Ellison, E. G. “Fatigue of Engineering Materials and Sturctures” 3 1980 1 17
- Kandil, F. A. Brown, M. W. Miller, K. J. “Biaxial Low-Cycle Fatigue of 316 Stainless Steel at Elevated Temperatures” The Metals Society 280 1982 203 210
- Fatemi, A. Socie, D. F. “A Critical Plane Approach to Multiaxial Fatigue Damage Including Out-of-phase Loading” Fat. Fract. Engng. Mater. Struct. 11 3 1988 149 165
- Socie, D. F. “Multiaxial Fatigue Damage Models” J. of Engng. Mater. & Tech. 109 1987 293 298
- ENDURE User's Manual Engineering Mechanics Research Corp. 1991
- Neuber, H. Transactions ASME J. of Applied Mechanics 28 1961 544 550
- Smith, K. N. Watson, P. Topper, T. H. “A Stress-strain Function for the Fatigue of Metals” J. of Materials 5 1970 767 778
- Reemsnyder, H. S. “Observations, Predictions, and Prevention of Fatigue Cracking in Offshore Structures” 1987 136 152
- Fatemi, A. Kurath, P. “Multiaxial Fatigue Life Predictions Under the Influence of Mean-stress” J. of Engng. Mater. & Tech. 110 1988 380 388
- Fash, J. W. Socie, D. F. McDowelf, D. L. “Fatigue Life Estimates for a Simple Notched Component Under Biaxial Loading” Multiaxial Fatigue 1985 497 513
- Socie, D. F. Waill, L. A. Dittmer, D. F. “Biaxial Fatigue of Inconel 718 Including Mean Stress Effect” Multiaxial Fatigue 1985 463 478