This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Conversion of a Diesel Engine for Gaseous Fuel Operation at High Compression Ratio
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Waukesha VR 220 naturally aspirated Diesel Engine has been modified to operate with a high compression ratio fast-burn spark-ignition combustion system. Since the application of greatest interest is for Combined Heat and Power (CHP), the majority of data have been obtained with the engine operating at full throttle and 1500 rpm. The philosophy of the open chamber combustion system design is described, and this includes a discussion on the selection of the compression ratio. Results are presented for the energy balance and the emissions, for a wide range of air fuel ratios. The experiments have been conducted with natural gas and natural gas/carbon dioxide mixtures (to simulate bio-gas). Comparisons are made with the baseline engine performance data, some of which has been published earlier(1)*.
CitationLadommatos, N. and Stone, R., "Conversion of a Diesel Engine for Gaseous Fuel Operation at High Compression Ratio," SAE Technical Paper 910849, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910849.
SAE 1991 Transactions - Fuels & Lubricants
Number: V100-4; Published: 1992-09-01
Number: V100-4; Published: 1992-09-01
- Alder M Nettleson K Ladommatos N Stone R 3 5 April 1989 Egham, Surrey, U.K.
- Linnel C J ‘The first 10 years on the U.K. market for packaged cogeneration plant - a review’ IMechE Seminar on Gas engines and cogeneration 5 18 MEP 1990
- Packer J P ‘Advanced packaged cogeneration’ IMechE Seminar on Gas engines and cogeneration 25 32 MEP 1990
- Kingston-Jones M G Heaton D M ‘Nebula combustion system for lean burn spark ignited gas engines’ SAE paper 890211 1989
- Gillespie D A ‘Gas-fired reciprocating engine development’ Proc. IMechE 201 A2 127 134 1987
- Ferguson C R ‘Internal combustion engines’ 437 Wiley, New York 1986
- Muranaka S Takayi Y Ishida T ‘Factors limiting the improvement in thermal efficiency of SI engine at higher compression ratio’ SAE 870548 1987
- Karim G A Ali I A ‘Combustion, knock and emission characteristics of a natural gas fuelled spark ignition engine with particular reference to low intake temperature conditions’ Proc. IMechE 189 24/75 139 147 1975
- Annand W J D Sulaiman S J ‘Knock limits and performance of some gaseous fuels in a supercharged spark-ignition engine’ Proc. IMechE 185 62/71 857 867 1971
- Lowe W Brandham P T ‘Development and application of medium speed gas burning engines’ Proc. IMechE 186 6/72 75 85 1972
- ‘MWM gas engines - information, 1984’ MWM Mannheim, Germany
- Seppen J J ‘Optimising gas fuelled engines using modern computer techniques and dedicated fuel supply systems’ EAEC International Conference on New developments in powertrain and chassis engineering V2 932 956 1987
- Hundleby G E Low emissions approach for heavy-duty gas-powered urban vehicles’ SAE paper 892134 1989
- Servé J V ‘NO x reduction on large bore turbocharged SI engines’ Energy sources technology Conference March 1982
- Charlton S J Jager D J Wilson M Shooshtarian A ‘Computer modelling and experimental investigation of a lean-burn natural gas engine’ SAE paper 900228 1990
- Charlton S J Jager D J Wilson M Shooshtarian A ‘An investigation of mixing and combustion in a lean-burn natural gas engine’ IMechE Seminar on Gas engines and cogeneration 77 82 MEP 1990
- Shiells W Garcia P Chanchaona S McFeaters J S Raine R R ‘Performance and cyclic variability of natural gas fuelled heavy duty engines’ SAE paper 892137 1989
- Raine R R McFeaters J S Elder S T Stephenson J ‘New Zealand experience with natural gas fuelling of heavy transport engines’ SAE paper 892136 1989
- Lee W Schafer H J MTZ 43 7/8 279 284 1982
- McKinley T L Primus R J ‘The influence of bowl offset on air motion in a direct injection diesel engine’ SAE paper 881611 1988
- Iijima T Bracco F V ‘LDV measurements in an engine with square and circular piston cups’ SAE paper 881611 1988
- Rassweiler G M Withrow L ‘Motion pictures of engine flames correlated with pressure cards’ SAE paper 800131 1980