This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Fuel Atomization at a Fuel Supply System on the Lean Burn Characteristics in a Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the fuel atomization effect of a fuel supply system on the lean burn characteristics of a spark-ignition engine and its mechanism. The fuel supply system can realize extremely different two state of atomization, i.e., wall-film of fuel flow and ultra-fine spray (less than 7 um S.M.D. by Malvern measurement). For the first step of the study, the atomization effect is examined under steady operation; several operating parameters including cyclic variability are expressed against the A/F over the wide range of operating condition. Within the operation limits, the fuel atomization does not affect any parameters, while it gives pretty much influence on the lean operation limit. Furthermore, this influencing behavior strongly depends on the throttle valve position and its opening. Combining these facts with the observation of the visualized induction system, the importance of the throttle valve in determining the atomization effect could be shown, and the possible affecting mechanism could be derived.
CitationShiga, S., Kobayashi, K., Kon-No, T., Karasawa, T. et al., "Effect of Fuel Atomization at a Fuel Supply System on the Lean Burn Characteristics in a Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 910568, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910568.
- Kadota, T. Sumida, K. Kadowaki, K. “Vapor Concentration Measurement around an Evaporating Sphere via Rayleigh Scattering” Proc. 1st KSME-JSME Thermal and Fluids Engineering Conf. 1988 Seoul 1 417
- Matthes, W.R. Mcgill, R.N. “Effects of the Degree of Fuel Atomization on Single-Cylinder Engine Performance” SAE Paper, No. 760117 1976
- Shiga, S. Ohnishi, H. Karasawa, T. Kurabayashi, T. “Application of a Fuel Mist Generator to a Spark Ignition Engine” Proc. 1st KSME-JSME Thermal and Fluids Engineering Conf. 1988 Seoul 1 378
- Chun, K.M. Heywood, J.B. Keck, J. “Prediction of Knock Occurrence in a Spark-Ignition Engine” Proc. 22nd Sympo. (International) Combust. 1988 455 The Combustion Institute
- Shiga, S. Heywood, J.B. Chun, K.M. “Variation of Knocking Characteristics with the Chamber Wall Temperature in a Spark-Ignition Engine” JSME (Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers) Transactions 56 530 1990 365