This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Blank Development and Metal Flow Analysis for Multi-Stage Drawing of Box Shaped Stampings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Blank development is the basis for calculating the material cost and hence the product cost, at the quoting stage. Understanding the metal flow under the binder is a critical activity during the tooling design stages, as well as during phototyping. The paper describes a computer aided blank development and metal flow analysis system, that will assist in performing the functions described above, before the tools are built, for box shaped parts drawn in multi-stage forming operations with a flat punch face, and a flat binder.
Development of the minimum blank shape, using the SLF technique for shrink flanged components is not new. The paper addresses the extension of the approach to:
multi-stage forming operations and,
the incorporation of the effect of thickness changes on the blank shape. Applications are given in the paper using the computer program BLANKDEV.
CitationAssempoor, A. and Karima, M., "Blank Development and Metal Flow Analysis for Multi-Stage Drawing of Box Shaped Stampings," SAE Technical Paper 910516, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910516.
- Zharkov V. A. “Methodology of Automated Design of Blanks for Drawing Sheet Metal Parts” Russian Eng. J. 59 5 51 52 1979
- Jimma T. Kuwabara T. Choi S. C. “Deep Drawing of Double Cylindrical Shells” J. of Mech. Working Tech. 13 365 377 1986
- Xueshan L. Bingwen L. “Modelling of Flange Deformation of Irregular Drawn Cups Using a Fluid Analogy” Inter. Journal of Mech. Sciences 28 8 491 497 1986
- Jimma T. “Deep Drawing of Convex Polygon-Shell - Researches on Deep Drawing of sheet metals by the Slip Line Theory. 1st Report” Japan Soc. Tech. for Plasticity 11 116 653 670 1970
- Rubenkova L.A. “Determination of the Stress Field in the Flange of a Blank at the Start of Drawing” 3 27 33 1969
- Hasek V. V. Lange K. “Use of Slip Line Field Method in Deep Drawing of Large Irregular Shaped Components” Proc. of 7th NAMRC Ann Arbor, Michigan 65 71 1979
- Gloekl H. Lange K. “Computer Aided Design of Blanks for Deep Drawing Irregular Shaped Components” Proc. of 11th NAMRC 243 251 1983
- Karima M. “Blank Development And Tooling Design For Drawn Parts Using a Modified Slip Line Field Based Approach” ASME Winter Annual 141 152 1988
- Jimma T. Kuwabara T. “Deep Drawing of Shells with bi-level Bottoms” Advanced Tech. of Plasticity II 1159 1164 1988
- Kuwabara T. Jimma T. Miyazaki K. “A Novel Process Design for Multiple Draw of Rectangular Shells” Advanced Tech. of Plasticity 3 1167 1173 1990
- Doege E. “Prediction of Failure in Deep Drawing” Theory,Verification, and Application, 12th Automotive Symposium,TMS-AIME “Computer Modelling of the sheet Metal Forming Process” Wang N.M. Tang S.C. University of Michigan 209 224 1985