This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Substrate Surface Contamination on Adhesives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As most all bonded assemblies rely upon intimate contact of the substrates, the condition of the actual bond area becomes critical to insuring optimum strength. When surfaces are contaminated, obviously bond strength is sacrificed. The author discusses various surface finishes, roughness, common industrial contaminants, methods of testing, and effects of all of the above on bond strength.
|Technical Paper||Why Adhesives Work: Practical Applications of Theory|
|Technical Paper||Development of the Ball Rust Test-A Laboratory Test Replacing the Sequence IID Engine Test|
CitationBrown, P., "The Effects of Substrate Surface Contamination on Adhesives," SAE Technical Paper 910503, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910503.
- Petril, Edward M. “Adhesively Bonding Plastics: Meeting An Industry Challenge” Adhesives Age May 15 1989
- Haviland, Girard S. “Machinery Adhesives For Locking, Retaining, and Sealing” Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Skeist, Irving “Handbook of Adhesives” Second VanNostrand Reinhold Co., Inc.
- Mittal, K.L. “Surface Contamination: An Overview” Symposium on Surface Contamination: Its Genesis, Detection and Control Plenum Press Washington, D.C. September 10-13 1979
- Schrader, Malcolm E. “Surface-Contamination Detection Through Wettability Measurements” Symposium on Surface Contamination: Its Genesis, Detection and Control Plenum Press Washington, D.C. September 10-13 1979
- Dwight, David W. Wightman, James P. “Identification of Contaminants with Energetic Beam Techniques” Symposium on Surface Contamination: Its Genesis, Detection and Control Plenum Press Washington, D.C. September 10-13 1978
- Rantz, Leonard E. “Proper Surface Preparation: Bonding's Critical First Step” Adhesives Age May 15 1987
- Pierson Randall Loctite Corporation Newington, CT. Wolf David Loctite Corporation Newington, CT. Bobrowiecki Melanie Jo Loctite Corporation Newington, CT.