This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Why Adhesives Work: Practical Applications of Theory
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Some adherends require extensive surface preparation prior to adhesive-bonding while other adherends will form strong adhesive bonds with little or no surface preparation. This paper will attempt to explain the reasons that the above statement is true. Several theories of adhesion will be discussed and the practical application of each will be described. Chemical and physical characteristics of adherend surfaces and several methods for surface analysis will be identified. Finally, an overview of surface preparation methods along with the advantages and disadvantages of each will be described.
CitationDoyle, D., "Why Adhesives Work: Practical Applications of Theory," SAE Technical Paper 910502, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910502.
- Gent A. N. Hamed G. R. Chapter 3; Handbook of Adhesives 3rd Skeist Irving Van Nostrand Reinhold 1990
- Cagle C. V. Chapter 2; Handbook of Adhesive Bonding McGraw-Hill Inc. 1973
- Lewis A. “Adhesive and Adhesion” Adhesives 4th D.A.T.A. Inc. 1986
- Bluestein C. Adhesives '89 Conference SME Atlanta, G A September 12-14 1989
- Levine I. Physical Chemistry 3rd McGraw-Hill Co. 1988
- Tong S. Y. “Exploring Surface Structure” Physics Today 50 59 August 1984
- Calluter, W. D. Jr. Materials Science and Engineering John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1985
- Ellings V. Wiedmann J. American Laboratory 34 October 1989
- Rantz L. “Proper Surface Preparation: Bonding's Critical First Step” 1987 Adhesives Age Directory 1987
- Brown P. J. “The Effects of Substrate Contamination on Adhesives” SME Technical Paper AD89-549 Adhesives '89 Conference Atlanta, GA September 12-14 1989
- Hansen G.P. Rushing R. A. Warren R. W. Kaplan S. L. Kolluri O. S. “Achieving Optimum Bond Strength with Plasma Treatment” SME Technical Paper AD89-537 Adhesives '89 Conference Atlanta, GA September 12-14 1989
- Kaplan S. L. Rose P. W. Frazier D. A. “Gas Plasma and Treatment of Plastics” How to Apply Advanced Composites Technology Conference Proceedings ASM Int. Eng. Soc. Detroit Dearborn, MI September 13-15 1988
- Dillard J. G. Spiner I. “Plasma Treatment of Composites for Adhesive Bonding” How to Apply Advanced Composites Technology Conference Proceedings ASM Int. Eng. Soc. Detroit Dearborn, MI September 13-15 1988
- Newbould J. “Effects on Surface Preparation on Adhesive Properties on Sheet Molding Compound (SMC)” Productive Adhesive Technology For Automotive Engineering Applications SME Dearborn, MI November 15-16 1988