This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Design and Experimental Study of an Otto Atkinson Cycle Engine Using Late Intake Valve Closing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Previous work has established that part load fuel consumption of a spark ignition engine may be improved by means of both load control by Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and Variable Compression Ratio (VCR). The Otto-Atkinson cycle can be achieved by combining VVT with VCR. This paper explores the design aspects, production constraints and performance of such an engine, in which VVT is realised by Late Intake Valve Closing (LIVC).
The LIVC aspect of the chosen design makes use of two independently operated intake valves, such that variable dwell is obtained by phase control only of one of the valves. This allows a considerable degree of compatibility with a conventional 16 valve cylinder head. The first version of this design has been built and successfully tested.
A broad range of possible VCR design solutions has been analysed for performance and feasibility. Production constraints and a need for rapid transient response were identified as the main determining factors. The most promising option could be confined to the cylinder head, and has been built and demonstrated.
|Technical Paper||The Otto-Atkinson Engine - A New Concept in Automotive Economy|
|Technical Paper||The Otto-Atkinson Cycle Engine-Fuel Economy and Emissions Results and Hardware Design|
CitationBlakey, S., Saunders, R., Ma, T., and Chopra, A., "A Design and Experimental Study of an Otto Atkinson Cycle Engine Using Late Intake Valve Closing," SAE Technical Paper 910451, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910451.
- Tuttle, J. H. ‘Controlling Engine Load by Means of Late Intake Valve Closing’ SAE paper 800794 1980
- Hara, S. Nakajima, Y. Nagumo, S. ‘Effects of Intake Valve Closing Timing on Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion’ SAE paper 850074
- Saunders, R.J. Abdul-Wahab, E.A. ‘Variable Valve Closure Timing for Load Control and the Otto Atkinson Cycle Engine’ SAE paper 890677
- Saunders, R.J. Rabia, S.M. ‘Part Load Efficiency in Gasoline Engines’ Instn. Mech. Engrs. Seminar on Practical Limits of Efficiency of Engines 1986
- Ma, T.H. Rajabu, H. ‘Computer Simulation of an Atkinson Cycle Engine with Variable Timing Multi-Intake Valves and Variable Compression Ratio’ Proc Instn Mech Engrs. C53/88 273 7 1988
- Luria, D. Taitel, Y. Stotter, A. ‘The Otto-Atkinson Engine-A New Concept in Automotive Economy’ SAE paper 820352
- Adams, W.H. et al ‘Analysis of the Combustion Process of a Spark Ignition Engine with a Variable Compression Ratio’ SAE paper 870610
- Lia T. ‘The “Alvar” Engine Concept. A Variable Compression Ratio Spark Ignition Engine’ FISITA Paper No 82128 1982
- Ahmad, T. Theobald, M.A. ‘A Survey of Variable-Valve-Actuation Technology’ SAE paper 891674
- Wirbeleit, F.G. Binder, K. Gwinner, D. ‘Development of Pistons with Variable Compression height for Increasing Efficiency and Specific Power Output of Combustion Engines’ SAE paper 900229