This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Decrease Oil Consumption for NSOR-Two-Ring Package Piston
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Furuhama(1)* proposed the new two ring package consist of a pressure ring and a narrow single-rail oil ring (NSOR) in 1985. Number of studies(2) have been done for the purpose of reducing the oil consumption (OC) in this ring package. However, OC reduction problem has been still remaining to solve as only one serious problem of this ring package.
The reasons of a larger OC in the new ring package than the conventional three ring has been hardly understood, considering the OC control ability on second ring in three ring package will not so large since the fact that the oil film thickness is thicker than that of the oil ring.
In this study, the mechanism of OC increase in new ring package was found out at last, as a result, OC of new ring package piston was improved up to the same level of conventional three ring package piston.
|Technical Paper||Measurement of Air Flow Around an Inlet Valve Using a Pitot Probe|
|Technical Paper||Blow-By in Relation to Piston and Ring Features|
CitationFuruhama, S., Hyuga, T., Takiguchi, M., and Serizawa, S., "A Study of Decrease Oil Consumption for NSOR-Two-Ring Package Piston," SAE Technical Paper 910435, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910435.
- Furuhama S. Hiruma M. et al. “Development of a two-ring piston with low friction and small compression height without increase in blow-by, overheat and oil consumption” 43 C63/85 IMechE
- Furuhama S. Hyuga T. “A Study of Oil Consumption Reduction Method for Two-Ring Package with NSOR” 44 11 922 930 STLE LUBRICATION ENGINEERING 1988
- Takiguchi M. Furuhama S. et al. “Piston Friction Force of a Small High Speed Gasoline Engine” Transactions of the ASME 110 JANUARY 1988
- Takiguchi M. “Characteristics of Piston with Pressure Ring and One Narrow Single-Rail Oil Ring” SAE paper 885131 1988
- Furuhama S. Hiruma M. “Axial Movement of Piston Rings in the Groove” ASLE TRANSACTIONS 15 4 278 1972
- Furuhama S. Tada T. “On the Flow of Gas Through the Piston-Rings” Bulletin of JSME 4 16 684 1961