This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Probabilistic Evaluation of Automotive Cold Cranking Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A probabilistic model proposed by Wang (1990) is summarized and extended to quantify the approximate cranking probability at a specified confidence level. The criterion for acceptance is the ability of a randomly selected starter/battery set which delivers acceptable cold cranking performance on a specified engine application above a minimum targeted speed required to start. The model serves as a decision-making tool for engineers to (1) verify existing cranking system performance, (2) assess new combinations of existing cranking components, (3) evaluate the performance of newly developed cranking components, and (4) provide functional requirements of starter/battery sets for component sizing purposes. The model can be applied to perform trade-off analyses of cranking system performance with test results or computer simulation conclusions. An example is discussed and engineering usage is illustrated. A sensitivity analysis is performed under the uncertainty of engine variability due to small testing sample size. Future research direction is also recommended.
|Technical Paper||Battery Design for Automotive Diesel Starting|
|Technical Paper||Selecting the Proper Electrical System for Farm, Construction, and Industrial Equipment|
|Technical Paper||Advance In Cranking Motors - A New Design Concept|
CitationWang, C. and Misiti, P., "Probabilistic Evaluation of Automotive Cold Cranking Performance," SAE Technical Paper 910358, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910358.
- Courtney, R. L. Putansu R. J. “Laboratory Techniques for Determining Engine Cranking Characteristics,” SAE paper 716A SAE International Summer Meeting Montreal, Canada June 10-14 1963
- Wang, C. J. “A Probabilistic Model for Vehicle Cranking Performance,” Transactions of the ASQC 44th Annual Quality Congress (AQC) San Francisco, CA May 14-16 1990 887 892
- Hald, A. Statistical Theory with Engineering Applications , 3rd printing John Wiley & Sons 1957 311 316
- Kapur, K. C. Lamberson L. R. Reliability in Engineering Design John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1977
- Lloyd, D. K. Lipow M. Reliability: Management, Methods, and Mathematics 2nd ASQC Quality Press 1979
- Duncan, A. J. Quality Control and Industrial Statistics 5th IRWIN, Inc. 1986
- Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences Kotz S. Johnson N. L. 9 Wiley & Sons 1988 236
- Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences Kotz S. Johnson N. L. 1 Wiley & Sons 1988 434
- Miller, R. “Parametric Empirical Bayes Tolerance Intervals,” Technometrics 31 4 1989 449 459