Computer-Aided 3-D Surface Reconstruction During High Speed Crush Events
Published February 1, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
A system which can remotely measure detailed deformations of vehicle structures during crush events was developed. The system uses ordinary video or 16 mm high speed movie to capture the crush event. This information is digitized and analyzed using personal computers to perform photogrammetric manipulations which yield accurate surface geometries. The output is useful for comparison to computer simulations.
This paper presents preliminary results regarding the accuracy of this system.
CitationKarvelis, A., Rogers, M., Anderson, C., and Liubinskas, A., "Computer-Aided 3-D Surface Reconstruction During High Speed Crush Events," SAE Technical Paper 910320, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910320.
- Argyris, J., et al, “Computer Simulation of Crash Phenomena,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Volume 22, 497-519, 1986.
- Yamaoka, H., et al, “Computer Simulation of Automotive Body Crash Response,” SAE Technical Paper Series 851685, September, 1985.
- Ng, P., et al, “The Development of a Vehicle Angled Side Collision Computer Simulation Program,” SAE Technical Paper 860822.
- DuBois, P., et al, “Automotive Crashworthiness Performance on a Supercomputer,” SAE Technical Paper 870565.
- Directory of Applications Software for Cray Supercomputers, January, 1989.
- Stanger, J., et al, “A Numerical Simulation of the Proposed European Side Impact Test Procedure,” Cray Channels, Winter, 1989.
- Ni, C.M., “Impact Response of Curved Box Beam - Columns With Large Global and Local Deformations,” AIAA Paper 73-401, March, 1973.
- Hayduk, R.J., et al, “Nonlinear Structural Crash Dynamics Analyses,” SAE Technical Paper Series 790588, April, 1979.
- Wolf, Paul R., “Elements of Photogrammetry”, McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1974.
- Gillen, L., et al, “Operation of the MACO 35/70 Small Format Analytical Stereoplotter System,” ASP Technical Papers, Volume 1, March, 1984.
- Gillen, Larry G., “Photogrammetric Mapping of Vehicle Deformations,” SAE Technical Paper Series 861421, September, 1986.
- McGlone, J.C., “Analytic Data-Reduction Schemes in Non-Topographic Photogrammetry,” Chapter 4, Non-Topographic Photogrammetry, Second Edition, 1989.