This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Water Flow Simulation of Automotive Underhood Airflow Phenomena
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental investigation of the underhood cooling airflow of a production passenger car has been carried out with a 3/8-scale model in a water filled tow tank at Texas Tech University and with a production vehicle in the Maritime Dynamics Laboratory tow basin of SSPA Maritime Consulting AB in Gothenburg, Sweden. The primary objectives for both the 3/8 and production vehicle investigations were to obtain a better understanding of the cooling airflow behavior within the engine compartment of an automobile and to identify the major factors influencing the flow field. The tests consisted of running a fan on a stationary and moving vehicle with pressure measurements and extensive flow visualizations within the engine bay.
CitationWilliams, J., Hackett, J., Oler, J., and Hammar, L., "Water Flow Simulation of Automotive Underhood Airflow Phenomena," SAE Technical Paper 910307, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910307.
- Clemens, W.J. 1974 Improved Underhood Airflow - Baseline Studies Ford Motor Co. Car Research Technical Memorandum
- Clemens, W.J. 1974 Improved Underhood Airflow - Airflow Development Studies Ford Motor Co. Car Research Technical Memorandum
- Oler, J. W. Fuller, D. R. 1988 An Experimental Investigation of Automotive Underhood Airflow Texas Tech University, Department of Mechanical Engineering Technical Report
- Williams, J. E. 1988 Aerodynamics of Automotive Cooling Flow , oral presentation, Aerotech '88 SAE Aerospace Technology Conference & Exposition Anaheim, CA
- Larsson, L. Hammar, L. Nilsson, L. U. Berndtsson, A. Knutson, K. Danielson, H. 1989 A Study of Ground Simulation - Correlation Between WindTunnel Water-Basin Tests of a Full -Scale Car SAE Technical Paper 890368 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI
- Hammar, L. 1990 Investigation of the Underhood Cooling Flow of a Production Passenger Car SSPA Maritime Consulting Technical Report 5567-1
- Maxwell, T.T. Sullivan, P. T. 1988 Buoyancy Effects on Engine Compartment Airflow Texas Tech University, Department of Mechanical Engineering Technical Report
- Incropera, F. P. DeWitt, D. P. 1985 Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Hackett, J. E. 1989 Underhood Flow for a 3.0L 1989 Taurus Under Idle Conditions Lockheed Contract Report
- Schenkel, F.K. 1977 The Origins of Drag and Lift Reductions on Automobiles with Front and Rear Spoilers SAE Technical Paper 770389 SAE International Congress