This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Coolant Flow in the Cylinder Head/Block of the Ford 2.5L DI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Local measurements of the mean and rms velocities have been obtained by laser Doppler velocimetry in the coolant passages of a transparent model of a Ford 2.5L diesel cylinder head and block at a steady flowrate of 6.83 × 10-4 M3/s. The simulation of the coolant fluid by a mixture of hydrocarbon fluids at a predetermined constant temperature allowed accurate matching of the refractive index to that of the acrylic model, thus providing optical access for LDV measurements of the internal flow in sensitive areas where cooling is essential to prevent metal-fatigue failure. The results were obtained in sufficient detail to allow further validation of CFD coolant flow models.
- C. Arcoumanis - Dept. of Mechanical Engineering Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine London, England
- J. M. Nouri - Dept. of Mechanical Engineering Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine London, England
- J. H. Whitelaw - Dept. of Mechanical Engineering Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine London, England
- G. Cook - Diesel Engineering Ford Motor Co., Ltd. England
- D. M. Foulkes - Diesel Engineering Ford Motor Co., Ltd. England
CitationArcoumanis, C., Nouri, J., Whitelaw, J., Cook, G. et al., "Coolant Flow in the Cylinder Head/Block of the Ford 2.5L DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 910300, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910300.
- LIU, C.H., VAFIDIS, C., WHITELAW, J.H and MARGARY, R. “Flow in the coolant passages of an internal combustion engine cylinder head. Experiment in Fluids, V.10, 50-54, 1990.
- ADAPCO Report 4206 submitted to Ford Motor Co. Ltd., 1989.
- ZIZZELMAR, R. and MOLERUS, O. “Investigation of solid-liquid pipe flow with regard to turbulence modification”, Proc. Intl. Symp. on Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer in Two-Phase Energy and Chemical Systems, Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia, 4-9 September, 1978.
- NOURI, J.M., WHITELAW J.H. and YIANNESKIS, M. “A refractive index matching technique for solid/liquid flows”, in Laser Anemometry in Fluid Mechanics 3, Adrian R, et al (eds), Ladoan, pp. 335, 346, 1988.
- VAFIDIS, C. and WHITELAW, J.H. “A refractive index matching technique for the study of engineering flows”, Proc. Second Intl. Conf. on Methodology and Innovation in Automotive Experimentation, V.2, 1347-1364, 1988.