This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Fuel Consumption of a Single-Cylinder, Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Using a Platinum Fuel Additive
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Performance and fuel consumption of a single-cylinder, direct-injection diesel engine were determined for both an untreated diesel fuel and for the same fuel treated with a platinum-based fuel additive package. The platinum was in an organometallic compound which was soluble and stable in diesel fuel. The fuel additive package was supplied by Fuel Tech, Inc., of Stamford, Connecticut. The engine, a Cooperative Lubrication Research (CLR) engine, was operated for 185 hours on untreated fuel (a low sulfur no. 2 diesel fuel), 236 hours on treated fuel and then 217 hours on the untreated fuel. Engine operating conditions were varied among three steady-state operating conditions at moderate load at 1300, 1600 and 1900 RPM.
At the end of the 236 hours in which the additive treated fuel was used, the average brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) decreased by approximately 9% at 1300 RPM, 5% at 1600 RPM, and negligibly at 1900 RPM. To understand the causes of the BSFC improvements, cylinder pressures were compared for the same conditions. This examination revealed that the cylinder pressures throughout portions of the compression and expansion stroke were higher after the additive was used. The lower BSFC values were attributed to increased indicated work due to shorter ignition delay periods and slightly greater instantaneous heat release rates during portions of the expansion stroke.
CitationCaton, J., Ruemmele, W., Kelso, D., and Epperly, W., "Performance and Fuel Consumption of a Single-Cylinder, Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Using a Platinum Fuel Additive," SAE Technical Paper 910229, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910229.
- Trimm D.L. “Catalytic Combustion Review,” Applied Catalysis 7 249 282 1983
- Prasad, R. Kennedy, L.A. Ruckenstein, E. “Catalytic Combustion,” Catalysis Review - Science and Engineering 26 1 1 58 1984
- Pfefferle, W.C. Pfefferle, L.D. “Catalytically Stabilized Combustion,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 12 1 25 47 1986
- Pfefferle, L.D. Pfefferle, W.C. “Catalysis in Combustion,” Catalysis Review - Science and Engineering 29 2 3 219 267 1987
- Thring, R.H. “The Catalytic Engine,” Platinum Metals Review 24 4 126 133 1980
- Sapienza, R.S. Butcher, T. Krishna, C. Goffney, J. “Soot Reduction in Diesel Engines by Catalytic Effects,” Symposium on the Chemistry of Engine Combustion Deposits American Chemical Society Atlanta, GA March 1980
- Montano, R.M. Robinson, J. Haskew, J.W. Schivley, C.D. “Simultaneous Reduction of Soot and Nox in Diesel Engines by Homogeneous Catalysis of Group Platinum Metals,” SAE Paper 891634 1989
- Filowitz, M.S. Vataru, M. “Diesel Particulate Emission Control Without Engine Modifications - A Cost-Effective Fuel Supplement,” SAE Paper No. 890828 1989
- “Diesel Fuel Additives and Diesel Fuels Containing Soluble Platinum Group Metal Compounds and Use in Diesel Engines,” Bowers W.E. Sprague B.N. January 9 1990
- “Gasoline Additives and Gasoline Containing Soluble Platinum Group Metal Compounds and Use in Internal Combustion Engines,” Bowers W.E. Sprague B.N. January 2 1990
- Kelso, D. Epperly, W.R. Hart, M.L. “Effects of Platinum Fuel Additive on Diesel Emissions and Efficiency,” SAE paper No. 901492 1990
- Lancaster, D.R. Krieger, R.B. Lienesch, J.H. “Measurement and Analysis of Engine Pressure Data,” SAE Paper 750026 1975
- Randolph, A.L. “Methods of Processing Cylinder-Pressure Transducer Signals to Maximize Data Accuracy,” SAE Paper 900170 1990
- Bair, R. “On-Line PC Based Engine Analyzer and Simulator,” SAE Paper 881256 1988
- MacDonald, J.S. Plee, S.L. D'Arcy J.B. Schreck, R.M. “Experimental Measurements of the Independent Effects of Dilution Ratio and Filter Temperature on Diesel Exhaust Particulate Samples,” SAE Paper 800185 1980
- Kline, S.J. McClintock, F.A. “Describing Uncertainties in Single-Sample Experiments,” Mechanical Engineering 75 3 9 1953
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Lipkea, W.H. Johnson, J.H. Vuk, C.T. “The Physical and Chemical Characterization of Diesel Particulate Emissions,” SAE Paper No. 780108 1978
- Vuk, C.T. James, M.A. Johnson, J.H. “The Measurement and Analysis of the Physical Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions,” SAE Paper 780430 1978
- “The Impact of Platinum in Diesel Exhaust on Human Health,” internal report from Radian Corporation to Fuel Tech 22 May 1989