This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Laser-Induced Incandescence Imaging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Laser-induced incandescence (LII) has been explored as a diagnostic for qualitative two-dimensional imaging of the in-cylinder soot distribution in a diesel engine. Advantages of LII over elastic-scatter soot imaging techniques include no interfering signals from liquid fuel droplets, easy rejection of laser light scattered by in-cylinder surfaces, and the signal intensity being proportional to the soot volume fraction. LII images were obtained in a 2.3-liter, single cylinder, direct-injection diesel engine, modified for optical access. To minimize laser sheet and signal attenuation (which can affect almost any planar imaging technique applied to diesel engine combustion), a low-sooting fuel was used whose vaporization and combustion characteristics are typical of standard diesel fuels. Temporal and spatial sequences of LII images were made which show the extent of the soot distribution within the optically accessible portion the combusting spray plume. At all temporal and spatial locations studied, soot is found throughout the observed cross-section of the plume and has a spatially continuous distribution. These soot distribution images provide new insight into where and when soot occurs in the diesel engine used for this study.
CitationDec, J., zur Loye, A., and Siebers, D., "Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Laser-Induced Incandescence Imaging," SAE Technical Paper 910224, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910224.
- Brehob, D.D. and Kittelson, D.B., “A Review of CI Engine In-Cylinder Diagnostics for the Investigation of Soot Loading, Chemical Composition, and Temperature,” SAE paper 880515, 1988.
- Whitehouse, N.D. and Abdul-Hadi, M.A., “The Distribution of Soot in the Cylinder of a Quiescent Combustion Chamber Diesel Engine,” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. Vol. 196, pp. 281-290, 1982.
- Aoyagi, Y., Kamimoto, T., Matsui, Y., and Matsuoka, S., “A Gas Sampling Study on the Formation Processes of Soot and NO in a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 800254, 1980.
- Matsui, Y., Kamimoto, T., and Matsuoka, S., “Formation and Oxidation Processes of Soot Particulates in a D.I. Diesel Engine - An Experimental Study via the Two-Color Method,” SAE paper 820464, 1982.
- Matsui, Y., Kamimoto, T., and Matsuoka S., “A Study of the Time and Space Resolved Measurement of Flame Temperature and Soot Concentration in a D.I. Diesel Engine by the Two-Color Method,” SAE paper 790491, 1979.
- Chan, T.T. and Borman, G.L., “An Experimental Study of Swirl and EGR Effects on Diesel Combustion by Use of the Dumping Method SAE paper 820359, 1982.
- Du, C.J. and Kittelson, D.B., “Total Cylinder Sampling from a Diesel Engine: Part III - Particulate Measurements,” SAE paper 830243, 1983.
- Lee, W., Solbrig, C.E., Litzinger, T. A., Santoro, R.J., and Santavicca, D.A., “Planar Laser Light Scattering for the In-Cylinder Study of Soot in a Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 902125, 1990.
- Ragucci, R., Cavaliere, A., and D'Alessio, A., “Laser Assisted Diagnostics for Characterization of Condensed Phases During Diesel Combustion Processes,” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, COMODIA 90: 371-376, 1990.
- Weeks, R.W. and Duley, W.W., “Aerosol-Particle Sizes from Light Emission During Excitation by TEA CO2 Laser Pulses,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 45, No. 10, pp. 4661-4662, 1974.
- Eckbreth, A.C., “Effects of Laser Modulated Particulate Incandescence on Raman Scattering Diagnostics,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 48, No. 11, pp. 4473-4479, 1977.
- Melton, L.A., “Soot Diagnostics Based on Laser Heating,” Applied Optics, Vol. 23, No. 13, pp. 2201-2208, 1984.
- Dasch, C.J., “New Soot Diagnostics in Flames Based on Laser Vaporization of Soot,” Twentieth Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, pp. 1231-1237, 1984.
- Dasch, C.J., “Continuous-Wave Probe Laser Investigation of Laser Vaporization of Small Soot Particles in a Flame,” Applied Optics, Vol. 23, pp. 2209-2215, 1984.
- Dasch, C.J., “Spatially Resolved Soot-Absorption Measurements in Flames Using Laser Vaporization of Particles,” Optics Letters, Vol. 9, pp. 214-216, 1984.
- zur Loye, A.O., Siebers, D.L. and Dec, J.E., “2-D Soot Imaging in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Using Laser-Induced Incandescence,” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, COMODIA 90: 523-528, 1990.
- zur Loye, A.O., Siebers, D.L., McKinley, T.L., Ng, H.K. and Primus, R.J., “Cycle-Resolved LDV Measurements in a Motored Diesel Engine and Comparison with K-ϵ Model Predictions,” SAE paper 890618, 1989.
- Wagner, H.Gg., “Soot Formation-An Overview,” pp. 2-3, Particulate Carbon Formation During Combustion, Siegla D.C and Smith G.W. editors, Plenum. Press, New York, 1981.